Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Re: Best usb media player app

Just as another note besides PLEX and EMBRY, you can use the PLAYON app and free version of the server to watch video files.  Its another DLNA server kind of thing.  Was trying to find a way to use KODI but that is not happening on ROKU.  Am using the free HANDBRAKE application to convert any non playing file to an MP4 version that will play.  

0 Kudos
Level 7

Just to be clear, Plex, Emby and Playon, are not capable of playing media on Roku locally attached USB devices.

0 Kudos
Level 9

Just plug the USB into the usb port into the computer running the server - not the Roku.
0 Kudos
Level 7

I am trying to avoid bringing a PC when I am traveling, so this is not helpful.

0 Kudos
Level 9

You leave your computer home. You run the Emby server a home computer. You connect remotely.. If you're ok with Media Player updates being backwards, just keep using it..
0 Kudos
Level 7

i think you're missing the point to this app. People don't want to have to connect remotely to anything, where there is no internet connection being the main instance 

0 Kudos
Level 21

@Neotikus wrote:

i think you're missing the point to this app. People don't want to have to connect remotely to anything, where there is no internet connection being the main instance 

In your instance, when travelling, that makes perfect sense. But if you're within your home network, you can use Plex or Emby regardless if there's an active Internet connection. 

And there's another significant advantage to using a media server such as Plex, Emby, or any DLNA server, and that's the ability to play media that Roku doesn't support. For example, there are a number of Blu Ray discs that use the VC-1 video codec, and almost all use a lossless audio codec (either Dolby TrueHD or DTS Master Audio), none of which Roku supports. You also don't have to worry about the container. Roku only supports a handful of containers (MKV, MP4, MOV, TS), and cannot play any others. The media server either transcoded the unplayable codecs, or transmuxes supported codecs within unsupported containers. 

Media support is complicated. A media server removes almost all of the complexity. And with Plex, you can access your home media while traveling, as long as you have Internet access. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 7

I've had Plex Pass for several years.  The point of having a USB port is so we can play our media when no Internet is available.  You have to admit the Roku Media Player is sub-par.  How hard would it be to have it read the ID3 tags and have the option to listen to albums using the ID3 Track Number order?

0 Kudos
Level 21

@ESC wrote:

I've had Plex Pass for several years.  The point of having a USB port is so we can play our media when no Internet is available.  You have to admit the Roku Media Player is sub-par.  How hard would it be to have it read the ID3 tags and have the option to listen to albums using the ID3 Track Number order?

So I think RMP can be improved? Absolutely. That's one reason I am a beta tester for it, to assist where I can. But I've never used it for music, so it's not something I would have ever caught, or even considered. Yes, I agree that reading the ID3 tag is a good idea. Send that idea to @RokuChris 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Level 18

@ESC  No the USB port is not there in case there's no Internet, Thats silly.

its there in addition to.

I dunno my opinions are jaded because I have several Monitors in front of me along

with tower Desktops. I have several Laptops but rarely use them and rely of my Desktops.

Sort of the opposite of what most people do.

For me its easy to play music through my computers which I have wired to my fancy stereo.

For me it seems many rely on Roku way too much for what it really is.

It probably has something to do with finances.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos