Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
TonyTheDad
Level 7

BBCA freezes up when trying to play an episode of Doctor Who

I went to watch the season 12 premier of Doctor Who, using the BBC America app on my Roku.  After the "loading" screen, a commercial plays (usually Capital One).  But then in freezes at the end sitting with 0:01 on the timer, and nothing more loads/plays.

I've tried multiple times, and sometimes it starts to play the episode, but then freezes again only 4 minutes into the episode.  

Do I need to reload BBCA app, even though I just loaded it this week to catch up on season 11 (which played OK).

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: BBCA freezes up when trying to play an episode of Doctor Who

@TonyTheDad  Thanks for the note here. Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen, then restarting your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your device loads up again, go to Streaming channels and add the channel back once more. If the issue continues to occur, you'll want to contact BBCA support to report the issue and request additional assistance with their channel. 

Feel free to generate an issue tracker report ID if the issue occurs again (after following the steps above) by pressing the Home button 5 times quickly followed by the Back button 5 times quickly on your remote. Send me a private message with your Roku account email address, the serial number of your device from Settings>System>About, along with the tracker ID and I'll help pass those details along to the channel provider to help take a closer look. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
LeahTN79
Level 7

I'm having this same issue 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
shona
Level 7

Tanner, I tried what you suggested, and BBC America is still freezing / crashing on me.  Any other things I can try? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there,

If the issue continues to occur, you'll want to contact BBC-A support to report the issue and request additional assistance with their channel here: http://www.bbcamerica.com/contact-us

Please feel free to generate an issue tracker report ID if the issue occurs again by pressing the Home button 5 times quickly followed by the Back button 5 times quickly on your remote. Send me a private message with your Roku account email address, the serial number of your device from Settings>System>About, along with the tracker ID and I'll help pass those details along to the channel provider to help take a closer look. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
LeahTN79
Level 7

I found a workaround, that while annoying, does work. The BBC app on my tablet was also having problems, but I found if I went straight to the BBC website on my tablet and stream to the show from there and mirrored my tablet screen to the TV, I could get through the episodes without the freezing during commercials issue. It pixelates from time to time, but that's better than it being unwatchable because the commercials keep freezing it up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
LeahTN79
Level 7

I spoke too soon. It just froze up again using that method.

0 Kudos