Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
al123

BBC iPlayer won't run on Roku Ultra

Jump to solution

Hi,

Have new Roku Ultra 4670X running software version 9.3.0 build 4194-46.

Factory reset and installed BBC iPlayer (and Sport and News). All present the following error:

"Sorry, this application is not currently available on your device."

Having checked the BBC website, although this software version would appear to be compatible, the actual device is not on the supported list.

Are Roku working with the BBC to have this model certified for use?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: BBC iPlayer won't run on Roku Ultra

Jump to solution

@al123 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that the channel provider is in responsible for what Roku devices their channel supports.  Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach BBC iPlayer support here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
40 REPLIES 40
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@al123 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that the channel provider is in responsible for what Roku devices their channel supports.  Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach BBC iPlayer support here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Taxi13
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi, According to BBC, the fact that I cannot receive Iplayer is Roku's responsibility.

This is what BBC Iplayer say:

Listed below are all Roku devices that are certified for use with BBC iPlayer. The devices listed have been submitted to us by Roku, meet our standards, and have passed our tests.

If a device isn't certified, it won't be listed below. Devices not listed have either not reached the benchmark required for a good BBC iPlayer experience or have not yet been submitted for certification. We only support devices which are certified so you may experience issues with BBC iPlayer on uncertified devices.

Roku Ultra (4660X) is not on that list.

So, is Roku in the process of having their Ultra box certified? If not, is there any software upgrade I can download to meet the certification, as I am fed up with having to Cast Iplayer from my PC to my TV when I have an expensive Roku box sitting there doing nothing.

Thank you

rossyl
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hello

Please can we get some response from Roku on this?

Other Roku devices work, so the Community of Roku users would be grateful if you could please resolve this. 

This isn't some small niche channel, it is the BBC and one many of Roku users on the UK would use frequently. 

Thank you 

0 Kudos
Taxi13
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you Rossyl for your intervention. However, I think I’ve worked out the answer.

The UK government has an archaic system, in which you need to buy a licence to watch ANY television. It currently costs about £12 ($16) month. Visitors to the UK will probably recall being able to watch a nights BBC TV without a single advertisement. However, to watch BBC Iplayer, you need to register and sign-in. It’s free, but a window then appears asking if you have a TV licence. If you answer yes, you can watch a huge amount of BBC programming and films.

Of course, viewers outside the UK will not have a licence so, I believe that the BBC only certifies UK sold Roku boxes to stop unlimited international access to Iplayer. After all, if all Roku boxes could access Iplayer, then anyone could set up a UK based VPN, simply answer that they DO have a licence when prompted, and then watch unlimited BBC

I bought my Roku Ultra in the US and brought it home. So, I believe that’s where the answer lies!

It would be nice if ROKU would confirm this.

0 Kudos
rossyl
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi Taxi13 - thanks for your response. 

Whilst I understand your reasoning, I think we are guessing whereas Roku will know the real answer. 

On installing my Roku Ultra in the UK, it immediately provides me with the same App options as a Roku Streaming Stick purchased in the UK. From the IP address of the internet connection it knows my location and is offering me Apps best suited to my location. 

I doubt Amazon sell one type of FireStick in the UK and another types in the US. I imagine they are all just one and the same, made in China and shipped globally. 

In my view, as Roku did not intend to sell the Ultra in the UK, it did not apply to the BBC for the Roku Ultra to be an approved product. It did so for the Streaming Stick (which i imagine is the exact same item whether sold in the UK or US). 

I think that all Roku need to do is apply for the Roku Ultra to be certified by the BBC and that will do the job. Obviously, it will take Roku time - but that is a question for Roku - whether they are willing to invest their time to meet their customers requests. 

Of course, these are just presumptions, as Roku do not seem to be taking this matter seriously and instead blaming the BBC.

If the Streaking Stick and Premiere both have BBC iPlayer working - it suggests the problem is Roku's not the BBC's. 

0 Kudos
Taxi13
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I said before that, I believed I had worked it out. I have just bought a new Roku stick and it works fine. No problem getting BBC Iplayer. However, the model number is not 3810X, it’s 3810EU. Secondly, the Roku Stick comes complete with a British electrical plug (It was made for UK use). So, I think I was correct, product codes ending in R or X will not work with BBC.

Here’s what BBC say about availability:

I live outside the UK. Can I use BBC iPlayer?

No. BBC iPlayer is funded by the UK TV licence and its use is restricted to UK residents only.

My Ultra cost over £100. I'll be lucky to get a fraction of that back on Ebay, because I'll have to say that BBC is not available on it.

0 Kudos
Krobar1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

This is a fairly well know restriction of using USA Roku devices in the UK. BBC deliberately block non UK models from starting the Iplayer app. There are two regional reporting functions with Roku which will look like this for your Roku Ultra setup in the UK:
Account Region - GB
Device Region - US

BBC looks for the Device region to be UK and AFAIK it cannot be changed.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

BBC isn't being complete accurate when they say Roku is certifying. Roku doesn't certify anything. BBC determines which players can be used. Most likely, as mentioned here already, is that they probably won't certify any player that isn't designated as EU. So, don't blame Roku for this. The BBC has complete control over which players will work with their channel, and Roku cannot change that.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
RTM
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Part of what you say is incorrect. A TV license is only a legal requirement in the U.K. if you watch live (broadcast) TV or use the BBC iPlayer. If you do not need or want the live TV experience, and only watch Netflix, YouTube, AppleTV or Amazon Prime, play games, etc then no license is needed.

It is easy and entirely legal to watch TV without a license. The BBC website has a form that can be filled in, whereby those who do not need a license can opt out. Doing so will result in them sending out a confirmation letter which will cover a period of 2 years. After that, simply exempt yourself again.

0 Kudos