Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pricehedgehog
Binge Watcher

Re: 2022 Aug NEW BBC iPlayer loading problem

Jump to solution

Yes even though it’s a new player and being sold by Roku right now 

https://www.roku.com/en-gb/products/roku-express#find-online

0 Kudos
bouncybrian
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Then its likely its just an app issue which I experienced a couple of months ago, and hopefully they will resolve now that they are aware.  I hope that you issue is resolved quickly.

0 Kudos
Vulcan195
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

BBC should rename iPlayer to iHopeItPlays

0 Kudos
Vulcan195
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I had an interesting experience with my new Fire TV 4K Max which might resonate with some people here.

When I first installed the Fire TV Max, it refused to play any of the UHD content on BBC iPlayer. It gave the familiar  02056 error. Interestingly, it played the UHD test loop fine. lol. It also played the HD content fine.

On day 2 it gave the 02056 error for the UHD test loop as well. 

On day 3, it threw the 02056 error for all content  

Today is day 4. Everything seems to be playing fine UHD, HD, UHD Test Loop.

Tomorrow is day 5. Wish me luck. Lol.

0 Kudos
Vulcan195
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I wanted to give some additional context to my previous post.

I have two Roku players.

3920X with 4193-95 firmware and iPlayer version ending in 38. It plays all content fine but will not connect to my 802.11ac WiFi, so speed is limited to 40Mbps. 

3941X with 4193-CR and iPlayer Version 32. App Store does not show the 38 version for iPlayer. Strange. It gives 02056 error for all iPlayer content. Basically useless. I was hoping it would work since you it can connect to 802.11ac and I can get 400Mbps. 

0 Kudos
bouncybrian
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

From my research, the 3920X only has up to N, and does not support AC, so unless you have your wifi configured for n aswell, nope it wont connect.  Regarding the 3941X, have you tried factory resetting it?

0 Kudos
Vulcan195
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@bouncybrian wrote:

From my research, the 3920X only has up to N, and does not support AC, so unless you have your wifi configured for n aswell, nope it wont connect.  Regarding the 3941X, have you tried factory resetting it?

Factory Reset many times. Tiring to reconfigure all settings only to find it did not fix anything. ☹︎ 

It’s puzzling  that the Roku App Store shows an older version of iPlayer when viewed from the 3941X but displays newer version when viewed from the 3920X  

0 Kudos
io1901
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Known issues Not much help but seems to relate to the issues that happened in July, seems they are still investigating.  Only hope is to raise it with BBC iplayer support BBC iPlayer contact form and post the the model info , software version (settings,system,about) and the version of iplayer loaded (select app and press *). I would also post the same info here. 

I have noticed that Roku do seem to use a pleather of models that are all similar. I think the BBC has a whitelist for the models it allows to use the iPlayer (specifically models sold in the UK) so either the BBC isn't maintaining this list properly of Roku aren't informing the BBC of all the UK models so the list can be maintained. 

My ROKU Express 4K  3940EU, software version 11.0.0 build 4193-CR,   BBC iPlayer Version 1.0 build 91000032 works OK. (bought Roku Store Amazon). 

My Roku Express  3900EU, software version 11-build 4193-51, BBC iPlayer Version 3.4 build 105000078 also works OK.(bought direct from Roku)

0 Kudos
Pricehedgehog
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I would agree 

shame Roku have no way of being contacted

I will just wait but it’s frankly hopeless to be selling the exact same device on their own website and it don’t work!

feel like I’m having a Sonos moment!

0 Kudos
io1901
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@bouncybrian Your responses are unhelpful, factually incorrect and rude.

Under UK  consumer law, if you actively advertise that something does something it should do it. Due to how UK law works, you only have recourse to where you bought it from, not the manufacturer itself, however, if you buy direct from Roku they are responsible for the functioning of the device. If they advertise that BBC iPlayer works on the device it should, (and as of this morning their website actively promotes this view). I suggest that Roku should have an active interest in ensuring that iPlayer works on all the Roku devices that they have sold and marketed in the UK.  

I agree that this should be reported to BBC iPlayer support but it should also be reported here and Roku should investigate as well. 

The people with the problem could always return the devices to whoever you bought it from stating it doesn't function as advertised and get a refund (if bought recently).

0 Kudos