Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kaiserpc

BBC iPlayer app not working for the last 2 days

Jump to solution

I have a Hisense Roku tv (C219GB, R50B7120UK) which has worked fine for all since I got it 2 months ago.  yesterday (Wednesday) BBCi Player stopped working

The message says "Channel Unavailable - This channel is unavailable right now.  Please try again later"

Still not working today

checked and I have the latest system update 9.4.0 build 4200-AF

I have uninstalled the app, rebooted and reinstalled the app and the error is still there

any ideas - thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: BBC iPlayer app not working for the last 2 days

Jump to solution

You've taken all the steps we can suggest here. It sounds like a BBC issue, as it's their channel and they would have to fix the problem. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
25 REPLIES 25
atc98092

Jump to solution

You've taken all the steps we can suggest here. It sounds like a BBC issue, as it's their channel and they would have to fix the problem. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Mrp

Jump to solution

I have the same problem and I did the same steps and I have a Hisense Roku smart TV.

But iplayer still works on my ipad and my computer and on another non-smart TV with a NowTV smart stick in the same house.

So how can it be a BBC problem?

0 Kudos
Mrp

Jump to solution

I have the same problem and I did the same steps and I have a Hisense Roku TV.

But it works on my ipad and my computer and on another non-smart TV with a NowTV smart stick in the same house.

0 Kudos
Mrp

Jump to solution

According to the BBC iplayer help, Roku have told the BBC, that they only support BBC services on devices running OS 9.3 and above.

But my TV is running on OS 9.4, but still can not run iplayer.

So it is one hundred percent Roku's fault.

i have had this TV for less than two months and one of the reasons I bought it, was for iplayer.

If this isn't sorted, then I want my money back.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Mrp wrote:

I have the same problem and I did the same steps and I have a Hisense Roku TV.

But it works on my ipad and my computer and on another non-smart TV with a NowTV smart stick in the same house.

It's a BBC problem because they are the ones that created and support the channel. You can't compare the iPlayer on different devices because they are all programmed in a different language, usually by different developers. Sounds like they have better developers for iOS devices. I don't know what a NowTV stick is, but it's certainly not using the same software as a Roku. 

Roku does not write the channels for other providers, and they have no way of fixing a problem with a channel. They don't have access to the code. If everything else is running fine on your Hisense TV, then the problem is with the specific channel, in this case iPlayer. And it can only be resolved by the company that provides it, BBC. 

If BBC is saying it's a Roku problem, they're simply pushing off their problem on someone else. Keep on them, as only they can fix it. 

Dan

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

This seems to affect all UK catch-up type services. My5,4, ITV, Freeview and the likes.

The issue must reside with Roku for the all not to work,

Youtube, Radio stations and Netflix are all OK.

0 Kudos
Jonnyl82
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have the same issue and pop up on bbc iplayer, itv hub, my5 and 4 so definitely a Roku problem. 

netflix, Disney and Amazon prime are all fine.

is Roku working on a fix for this as it seems it is not linking with your systems only

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Jonnyl82

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jonnyl82
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It’s every time you click on the app to try and watch them, same error message every time. Tried deleting and reinstalling along with clearing the cache, still same problem every time on all of the apps

0 Kudos