Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ianbu
Level 7

BBC Iplayer will not load, roku box freezes then eventually restarts itself.

Hi, I have a number of Roku Express devices, all are connected to the same Wifi hub.

On one device I cannot get BBC Iplayer to load, when I try everything freezes and eventually the device restarts itself,

BBC Iplayer works fine on the other roku devices, all of which are identical.

I have tried removing the app, restarting the device, reinstalling the app then restarting the device again but this has made no difference.

I have tried switching to another wifi device which made difference and switching back, again, no change. 

It definattley did used to work but I honestly can't remember the last time I watched BBC Iplayer on this device.

All other apps appear to be working fine on this device.

Any ideas?

Ian

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3\
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: BBC Iplayer will not load, roku box freezes then eventually restarts itself.

@Ianbu 

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried contacting the channel provider to see what other troubleshooting steps they can provide you? Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach BBC iPlayer support here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
murk
Level 7

Re: BBC Iplayer will not load, roku box freezes then eventually restarts itself.

I have the same issue and it appears to be identical to the previously closed thread here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/BBC-iPlayer-not-loading/td-p/521434/page/23

I have a 4200X Software version 9.4.0 build 4200-04 serial 6225A4020213

I have already tried removing BBC iPlayer and restarting and then adding it back in. This has no effect and the problem remains. The connection is wired and I have no issue with any other channels I have tried

0 Kudos
MilesT
Level 9

I also could not get this crashing issue resolved on my Roku express (even by escalating to a personal contact in the BBC iPlayer engineering team). Also affected BBC News and BBC Sounds app.

I eventually "solved" the problem by upgrading to the Streambar, which can have a hardwired connection to router (solving a problem with weak WiFi and WiFi congestion for other devices) and improved sound quality for the small cheap TV I have (all I have space for in the living room).  Heavy battery use in wireless radio remote compared to IR remote for express. Money well spent on the upgrade.

All we need now is for RoKu to make a top notch HD/2k/4k webcam with echo cancelling mike that can be connected to Streambar USB or WiFi/LAN and encouraging Zoom/Microsoft/Google/FB to make compatible streaming apps for a family videoconferencing experience (some smartvTV have cameras for VC already, and there is the Facebook only portal). Or maybe allowing the webcam to be accessed in a way similar to a screen cast from enhanced mobile VC app.

0 Kudos