Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HTNUT323
Level 7

Autostart in Netflix on Ultra but not Streaming Stick +?

My brother and I got new Rokus in the last month and are new to streaming. He got the Streaming Stick + and I got the new 2020 Ultra. My issue is this. We both share a Netflix account and I noted that when I go into a title (say a TV series like Lost in Space season 2 (2019?) the first episode (or next episode queued up if further along) starts automatically playing.  I find this REALLY annoying. Is there anyway to turn that off?! I don't see any setting on the Roku to correct that.

My brother with his next model down, Streaming Stick + does not have this problem and has proper manual control over when things start or stop.  We both had gone into our profiles on the Netflix account and made sure auto-playing the next episode or auto-playing previews were unchecked but this other issue that I have is not where to be seen. I even spoke at length with a Netflix customer rep who conferred with tech support and was clueless.

Why is this happening on my device? Is there anyway to update the software to get rid of this nonsense? I realize there are people out there that like this feature but forgetting those who do is extremely shortsighted and making poor assumptions as to customer wants.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
StreamerUser
Level 16

Re: Autostart in Netflix on Ultra but not Streaming Stick +?

This a known issue with NetFlix that has been brought to their attention over the last year or so.

For some, it affects only their Roku devices; for others all of their devices except their Rokus; for others some of their Roku models, but not others.

Regardless, its a NetFlix issue, not a Roku issue, so best to contact them about it (they'll probably claim they aren't aware of it and haven't heard of it before).

0 Kudos
HTNUT323
Level 7

Very sorry to hear that but enlightening to discover it is a known issue. As I said in my original post, I spoke with a Netflix rep previously who essentially blamed Roku stating it had to do with Roku's operating system and how they set it up to interact with their app and that our "experience" could differ device to device in Roku's line. Sounds very dubious to me and I said so.

I really dislike companies pointing fingers and not taking responsibility. In thinking this over I still believe the problem lies with Netflix as you say. It's most likely they don't know how to diagnose and resolve it - very sad.

Hence, nothing gets done. Bastards.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

@HTNUT323 wrote:

Very sorry to hear that but enlightening to discover it is a known issue. As I said in my original post, I spoke with a Netflix rep previously who essentially blamed Roku stating it had to do with Roku's operating system and how they set it up to interact with their app and that our "experience" could differ device to device in Roku's line. Sounds very dubious to me and I said so.

I really dislike companies pointing fingers and not taking responsibility. In thinking this over I still believe the problem lies with Netflix as you say. It's most likely they don't know how to diagnose and resolve it - very sad.

Hence, nothing gets done. Bastards.

The "details autoplay" issue happens on most platforms:  My LG TVs (WebOS), nVidia Shield 2019 (Android TV), Fire TV Stick 4k (Android), TiVo Stream 4K (Android TV), MS Xbox One X (windows 10) all have the behavior.

Half of my Rokus have the behavior: 4800/3810/3910

Half don't:  4670/3811/3800

(It changes too - probably with UI layer NF updates - all of the Roku models used to do it except for the 3910 (which now does it), which was the case for a few recent months, until it wasnt)

Apps are coded by the app vendors - the only (user visible) apps that Roku codes are the Roku Channel/4K Spotlight/Roku Media Player/Roku Tips and Tricks/Roku screensaver apps

NetFlix is coded by NetFlix.

The fact that NetFlix codes the NetFlix app (on all platforms), and the fact that the "details autoplay" behavior is experienced on all platforms, makes it clear that NetFlix is the only party responsible for fixing/addressing the behavior.

NetFlix could easily address the issue by adding a new per-profile autoplay setting: "autoplay when viewing details", but instead they've mostly chosen to pretend they aren't aware of the behavior and cant control it.

0 Kudos
jcgc50
Level 9

I have the same issue with a stick plus model 3810. There was a thread here back in early 2020 and the fix was supposed to be to uninstall the Netflix channel, restart the Roku, and re-install. Didn't work for me.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

It'd be great if it did work - that would give users some semblance of control over the unwanted behavior.

Regardless, its a NetFlix issue, and theirs to fix/address.

0 Kudos
jcgc50
Level 9

@StreamerUser wrote:

It'd be great if it did work - that would give users some semblance of control over the unwanted behavior.

Regardless, its a NetFlix issue, and theirs to fix/address.

With other channel related issues, I've seen Roku reach out to the creator to get the issue resolved. It would be nice if they would do that in this case.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

If you read through the previous posts in this thread, you'd realize its not a Roku-specific issue:

"The "details autoplay" issue happens on most platforms: My LG TVs (WebOS), nVidia Shield 2019 (Android TV), Fire TV Stick 4k (Android), TiVo Stream 4K (Android TV), MS Xbox One X (windows 10) all have the behavior."

While Roku takes feedback about all apps on their platform (after all, thats what the feedback option is about in their UI), posting here on a user-2-user support board (with limited Roku support interaction) just isnt going to be effective addressing a platform agnostic NF issue, and hence needs to be directed to NF (its still NF's app and their responsibility)

https://help.netflix.com/en/

0 Kudos
jcgc50
Level 9

Actually, I did read it and have already contacted NF. That said, it wouldn't hurt for someone with clout like Roku to reach out to them as well. Based on the comments here NF and their first-line customer service often do what large companies tend to do, which is to claim that it isn't their problem.

While I don't know about your experience on this forum. It was my impression from what I've seen here in my limited experience on the forum that someone either with Roku or who can reach out to them has been helpful in getting things fixed.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

For issues where apps fail to load/crash to Home, or otherwise fail to play content, Roku can sometimes facilitate information transfer to the app developer (though it still requires significant user communication directly to the app developer for timely action to be taken)

This case involves none of those things (and in fact involves content playing, which is generally what Roku and the app developers want).

In fact, it took nearly 4 years and massive twitter/elsewhere complaints before NF added the current autoplay options earlier this year - keep in mind that this particular "details autoplay" issue already existed when they added the per-profile autoplay controls earlier this year, and they chose not to address it (and still pretend it doesnt exist).

0 Kudos