Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
downtown1978
Level 7

Authenticate cable provider

I have the streaming stick 3500 and I cant access all the content on the HGTV app on my TV, I get the red key.  I think I need to log in with my google fiber acct info but I cant seem to find where I would do that.  I can access the content on my phone by entering my google acct info.  Does anyone know where I would enter that information on the ROKU or is there possibly another solution?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: Authenticate cable provider

"downtown1978" wrote:
I have the streaming stick 3500 and I cant access all the content on the HGTV app on my TV, I get the red key.  I think I need to log in with my google fiber acct info but I cant seem to find where I would do that.  I can access the content on my phone by entering my google acct info.  Does anyone know where I would enter that information on the ROKU or is there possibly another solution?

With all such apps, it's up to the content owner (the channel, in your case, HGTV) and the content provider (cable, satellite, or streaming service) to support a device, or support unlocking content on a device.

It's also important to understand that mobile devices aren't the same as other streaming devices. That is, a phone isn't the same thing as a Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV, or other set top device.

Having said that, it's not quite clear what you mean when you say you can't find where to sign in. Are you saying there is no sign in option? Or are you saying that there is, but your provider isn't listed? Because those are two different things.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
downtown1978
Level 7

I cant find where to enter my google fiber account info.  I looked under the options on the ROKU and didnt see an option there and I dont see anywhere to enter this info on the HGTV app I downloaded onto the ROKU.  
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"downtown1978" wrote:
I cant find where to enter my google fiber account info.  I looked under the options on the ROKU and didnt see an option there and I dont see anywhere to enter this info on the HGTV app I downloaded onto the ROKU.  

Are you saying you don’t see the words “Sign In” anywhere?
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
andyross
Level 11

With most Roku apps, you may need to find the settings in the APP (not the Roku), and there should be a Sign In or similar entry. Sometimes it is obvious, for others, it is under SETTINGS (sometimes shown as a gear icon).. It gives you a letter/number code, and a website link you use to authorize with your provider through a separate phone/tablet/computer.

To use the HGTV app as an example: Once opened, scroll right to the SIGN IN link on the top row and hit OK. Follow the on-screen instructions.
0 Kudos
downtown1978
Level 7

I was looking for a way to sign in with my cable provider on the ROKU options and didnt even consider that there might be a sign in on the actual HGTV app itself.  I did find the sign in on the app, (not sure how I missed it), and it worked.  My thanks to you both for your help.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"downtown1978" wrote:
I was looking for a way to sign in with my cable provider on the ROKU options and didnt even consider that there might be a sign in on the actual HGTV app itself.  I did find the sign in on the app, (not sure how I missed it), and it worked.  My thanks to you both for your help.

Apple TV supports what you were thinking. It’s a reasonable thought.

You will find that Roku does support a type of shared sign-on, in that any app related to HGTV (same company), now that you’re logged in, will attempt to log in with the same credentials on that same device.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos