Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coyote2
Level 7

Audio sync usually WAY off only on some Amazon Videos...which have no issue on a non-Roku

Audio sync is 5 seconds ahead of video on only some Amazon Video programs (I'm new to both Amazon Video and the Ultra, so thus far I've only noticed this issue on all episodes of both seasons of "Richard Hammond's Crash Course") and only on my Roku Ultra.  Please help!

Even on the problematic programs on my Ultra, every once in a while the sync on the problematic program is good for some reason (always when first started).

The problematic Amazon Video programs always have perfect sync on my PS4, and *other* content has good audio synch on Amazon Video on my Ultra.  Other apps on my Ultra have perfect audio sync.  Both the Ultra and the PS4 are connected to the my soundbar via identical brand new optical cables.  (And I just tried connecting a different brand new optical cable to my Ultra; no change).  

Edit:  And usually the Ultra and PS4 are connected to my soundbar via the same Optical switch, but I just tried directly connecting the Ultra to my soundbar and that didn't help.

The Amazon Video app on PS4 has Audio Settings (the Amazon Video app on my Ultra has no Audio Settings) on which I have selected 5.1.

The problematic programs I've found do not show a little 5.1 symbol.

My soundbar does not support Dolby D+, so I've tried all the other Audio Settings combinations of "Mode" (Auto and Stereo) and "HDMI & S/PDIF" (Auto detect, PCM-Stereo, Dolby D, Dolby D, DTS.)  I actually also tried Dolby D+ but that didn't help and streams start with a brief terrible screech.)

Incidentally, when I listen to the audio from my Ultra via my Samsung LN40A550P3FXZA HDTV (which gets it via HDMI), the audio sync is identical (whether via Optical to my Soundbar, from the TV's speakers, or via the TV's headphone output); which surprised me actually, I'm used to my old HDTV not outputting any audio (which I only send it via HDMI) unless it gets PCM, but other than this sync issue the HDTV outputs audio fine no matter what I set the Ulta to output.  So I guess my initial concern about only one "HDMI & S/PDIF" setting might have been unnecessary.

4640X Ultra
8.01b4042-29
sn YP007U889609
D.ID 7LC6A7889609
0 Kudos
14 Replies
coyote2
Level 7

Re: Audio sync usually WAY off only on some Amazon Videos...which have no issue on a non-Roku

Bump, please?
0 Kudos
coyote2
Level 7

Re: Audio sync usually WAY off only on some Amazon Videos...which have no issue on a non-Roku

In case anyone's wondering, I also quickly submitted this as a ticket to both Amazon and Roku.  Both of course pointed to the other (after the usual suggestions, none of which helped).  

Which is plausible for each individually; it makes sense for Amazon to think the problematic videos are OK because they work on my PS4, and it makes sense for Roku to think the Roku is OK because it only has the issue on some videos.  And of course I have no idea whether the issue is with the Amazon Roku app, or with the Roku's handling of the Amazon app.

When I asked them each separately to leave me out of the middle, and for them to work together to determine whose issue it is, they each separately promised to do so.  Then they both promptly did absolutely nothing.

Thankfully I haven't noticed this issue on any more videos yet. 
0 Kudos
coyote2
Level 7

When I phoned Amazon tech support they promised me that they would work with Roku tech support to figure out whose issue this is to resolve and do so.  (Roku tech support game me the exact same promise.)  I haven't heard a peep from either for months now.

Perhaps this will help:  here's another TV series for which audio synch is WAY off on the Amazon Video app on my Roku, but NOT Amazon Video app on my PS4.

The same series, FYI, also has perfect audio sync on several NON-Amazon channels on my Roku.
0 Kudos

Amazon is intentionally sabotaging Roku?
0 Kudos
coyote2
Level 7

"BestDeveloper" wrote:
Amazon is intentionally sabotaging Roku?

Difficult to say where the issue is (I just wish they'd get together and figure it out instead of leaving me to ask them to stop pointing fingers at the other), particularly since the NON-Amazon channels on my Roku may be playing completely different video files.

I guess it is most likely that the Amazon Ap for Roku is messing up (perhaps in it's compliance with the Roku's application interface); however the Roku Ultra 4640 certainly has its own audio issues (frankly so severe it's unusable even without this sync issue).

The videos themselves might be OK since I can watch them on my PS4's Amazon Ap.
0 Kudos
m3m0ryleak
Level 7

"coyote2" wrote:
Audio sync is 5 seconds ahead of video on only some Amazon Video programs (I'm new to both Amazon Video and the Ultra, so thus far I've only noticed this issue on all episodes of both seasons of "Richard Hammond's Crash Course") and only on my Roku Ultra.  Please help!

Even on the problematic programs on my Ultra, every once in a while the sync on the problematic program is good for some reason (always when first started).

The problematic Amazon Video programs always have perfect sync on my PS4, and *other* content has good audio synch on Amazon Video on my Ultra.  Other apps on my Ultra have perfect audio sync.  Both the Ultra and the PS4 are connected to the my soundbar via identical brand new optical cables.  (And I just tried connecting a different brand new optical cable to my Ultra; no change).  

Edit:  And usually the Ultra and PS4 are connected to my soundbar via the same Optical switch, but I just tried directly connecting the Ultra to my soundbar and that didn't help.

The Amazon Video app on PS4 has Audio Settings (the Amazon Video app on my Ultra has no Audio Settings) on which I have selected 5.1.

The problematic programs I've found do not show a little 5.1 symbol.

My soundbar does not support Dolby D+, so I've tried all the other Audio Settings combinations of "Mode" (Auto and Stereo) and "HDMI & S/PDIF" (Auto detect, PCM-Stereo, Dolby D, Dolby D, DTS.)  I actually also tried Dolby D+ but that didn't help and streams start with a brief terrible screech.)

Incidentally, when I listen to the audio from my Ultra via my Samsung LN40A550P3FXZA HDTV (which gets it via HDMI), the audio sync is identical (whether via Optical to my Soundbar, from the TV's speakers, or via the TV's headphone output); which surprised me actually, I'm used to my old HDTV not outputting any audio (which I only send it via HDMI) unless it gets PCM, but other than this sync issue the HDTV outputs audio fine no matter what I set the Ulta to output.  So I guess my initial concern about only one "HDMI & S/PDIF" setting might have been unnecessary.

4640X Ultra
8.01b4042-29
sn YP007U889609
D.ID 7LC6A7889609

So it's not just me either when it comes to Amazon Prime Video either. I've also seen/heard this occur on curated channel, Shockwerks TV. I've disconnected cables, powered down equipment, reset/restart Premiere +  set top. Contacted the owner of Shockwerks and he was never aware of any problem. I can't point to any one thing that might have cleared the issue but it's only intermittent. Just curious, when you select Amazon Prime from Home screen, and select a title. do you ever get a "freeze frame" of video before the selection starts (with sound and picture synced) ? 
0 Kudos
coyote2
Level 7

Hi m3m0ryleak:
First, all the text in your reply was indented the same as my text, so I hope I got it right that the only stuff you wrote was the last paragraph.

I think I may have gotten "a "freeze frame" of video before the selection starts (with sound and picture synced)" before, but I can't recall, sorry.  It sorta rings a bell, but it's been awhile and it didn't happen properly very often.
0 Kudos
56_kruiser
Level 7

I've been using a Roku 3, and all had been fine. My remote crapped out, so I purchased a Roku 4.

Amazon videos are out of synch on it. Not so on the 3, or eitiher of my smart TVs.

I guess I'll send the Roku 4 back. I've found lots of complaints about the 4, from some time ago and continuing, particularly with Amazon videos.
0 Kudos
skan
Level 7

I have the same problem with many series, for example with The man in the High Castle.
Any solution?
0 Kudos