Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StreamingUser49
Channel Surfer

Audio/Video Playback issues with Roku Channel

Am having persistent AV issues on content on the Roku channel. 

The symptom, content plays with no issues until a commercial break. The key seems to be the transition points between content and commercials.   The audio will continue, the video may not. This condition exhibits on transition to/from content and commercials on multiple shows available for viewing on the Roku channel. Exiting from the show and returning will remedy……until the next commercial. Aaarg. 

This behavior does not exist on any other channel, but is specific to the Roku channel.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Re: Audio/Video Playback issues with Roku Channel

You didnt mention your model # or firmware version:  Settings/System/About

Try using the "replay" button (next to the mic) the next time it happens (instead of exiting the show/app) and see if that resolves it.

Otherwise:

1) Manually configure your Display type:  Settings/Display type = 720p TV/1080p TV/4K TV/etc (do NOT use Auto) - try again

2) Depending on your model #, enable framerate matching:  Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Advanced display settings/Auto-adjust display refresh rate = On (or Off if on) - try again

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@StreamingUser49-

In the meanwhile, while trying to find a complete solution, see if just hitting the rewind button when the screen goes black brings your video back.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
StreamingUser49
Channel Surfer

No, when the commercial is playing, no ability to fast forward or rewind. If I wait til the commercial is over, I can either back out and resume viewing, or fast forward from the fixed video screen a few frames and AV is sync’d again for awhile. 

So, I’ve been trouble shooting this issue. I’ve multiple Roku devices and different viewing habits for each. This problem still is limited to the free content on the Roku channel. I also watch other channels which include ads and they don’t have this issue. BUT, it does seem specific to a particular Roku Express, model 3930X. No issues on a Model 3930RW. Both running SW Version 11 build 4193-AE. 

0 Kudos
StreamingUser49
Channel Surfer

I stand corrected. After a few days, I’m now experiencing the same issue on the 3930RW. It’s just not as frequent. Still limited to the Roku Channel. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@StreamingUser49

Thanks for the post.

If you are unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
StreamingUser49
Channel Surfer

No luck getting a code by pressing the home button 5 times, as the roku just returns home. The device doesn’t lock up when the video freezes. The audio keeps playing. The most interesting ‘tell’ I’ve noticed is this. 

It manifests on transition from program to commercial or vice versa. IF video freezes during a commercial break, there’s a countdown timer in the upper left corner which continues to count down. Video is frozen, audio keeps playing. At 0, a short ‘fast forward’ syncs AV again frequently, but not always. 

0 Kudos