Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mr_Hippo
Channel Surfer

Audio Lag on Hulu on Streaming Stick + and on Roku Ultra

I am experiencing audio lag to the video on different TV shows from CBS and NBC using Hulu. The audio drops or gets delayed at the same spot on both players. These are recorded shows from Hulu. Pausing and rewinding can get the audio into sync for a short period of time. Same issue occurs on different TVs (LG and Samsung) at the same spot with both Roku devices. Problem also occurs when the Roku player is plugged directly into the receiver.

How can this issue get resolved?
12 REPLIES 12
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: Audio Lag on Hulu on Streaming Stick + and on Roku Ultra

Thanks for the note. 

Does the same issue occur if you plug the Roku directly into your TV, and bypass the A/V receiver? Does this issue only occur on Hulu when watching recorded content, or does it also occur on Live content or on other channels on your Roku device as well? It's possible that there is an issue within the Hulu channel (app) when streaming recorded content that Hulu may need to look into, if this doesn't occur on other channels. 

You might try removing the channel from the Roku home screen, restarting your device, then adding the channel back once more to see if this helps resolve the issue.  

Please keep me posted and I'll continue assisting you from there. 

Thanks,
Tanner
0 Kudos
Mr_Hippo
Channel Surfer

The issue is reproducible if either Roku is plugged directly into either TV or into the receiver. I also uninstalled the Hulu app, unplugged the Roku to reset it and then reinstalled the Hulu app. Problem is still reproducible on both Rokus.

Actions done so far:
1. Power cycled both Rokus 
2. Plugged both directly into the TV
3. Plugged both into the A/V receiver
4. Uninstalled Hulu channel, removed power, restarted and reinstalled Hulu channel
5. Factory reset one of the Rokus
6. Deleted some channels to free up space

I agree that the problem is likely the Hulu channel at this point since the problem is reproducible on the same program at the same location on two different Roku devices on both TVs and the A/V receiver. We have not seen this on other channels at this time.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

What shows? What episodes of what shows? Don’t say “all” or “any,” but give a specific example.

I have an Ultra (4660) and use Hulu. I’m not having any issues, but unless we know what shows and episodes, I can’t reasonably attempt to replicate.

Are you using standard Hulu, or Hulu with Live TV? You mentioned DVR, which indicates Hulu with Live TV, as DVR isn’t part of standard Hulu, which is on-demand content only.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Mr_Hippo
Channel Surfer

Last episode of Blue Bloods for example. Near the end of the show, Selleck walks into the room. On a web browser, you see him walk into the room to the table after opening a door. In the Hulu channel app,  after he opens the door, there is an audio drop and the video jump a few seconds ahead and then the audio comes back but is now out of sync. 

This is occurred using Hulu with live TV on a recorded show via Hulu. The issue does not occur on all recorded shows. 

Hulu has been contacted and they are escalating the issue after doing additional attempts to correct the issue which included unlinking the Roku devices from the Hulu account.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

"Mr_Hippo" wrote:
Last episode of Blue Bloods for example. Near the end of the show, Selleck walks into the room. On a web browser, you see him walk into the room to the table after opening a door. In the Hulu channel app,  after he opens the door, there is an audio drop and the video jump a few seconds ahead and then the audio comes back but is now out of sync. 

This is occurred using Hulu with live TV on a recorded show via Hulu. The issue does not occur on all recorded shows. 

Hulu has been contacted and they are escalating the issue after doing additional attempts to correct the issue which included unlinking the Roku devices from the Hulu account.

I’m not going to be able to attempt to replicate. I have standard Hulu, not Hulu with Live TV. Your issue would be related to standard Hulu, but the Live TV service and it’s add-ones. (The most recent version of that show on standard Hulu is S8E28 from May 2018.)

Hope they get it resolved soon.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
joshgillen
Visitor

Did this get resolved?
0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

@joshgillen 

We aren't aware of this being a current issue. Some things you can try to troubleshoot this type of issue: 

1. Remove the Hulu channel from the Roku home screen. Restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once the device reboots, add the channel back again and see if this clears up the issue. 
2. During playback of any content, press the * key to see if a 'Volume mode' is enabled. If so, try turning this feature off. 
3. In Settings>Audio>Audio mode, try selecting 'Stereo' and then play the title again to see if the issue persists. 
4. If your Roku device is connected to any A/V receiver or soundbar, try connecting your device directly to your TV. 

Keep us posted from there. If you're still running into an issue, I'd recommend contacting Hulu support to report the issue and request additional help: https://help.hulu.com/s/article/how-to-contact-Hulu?language=en_US

Thanks,
Tanner
0 Kudos
joshgillen
Visitor

Thanks Tanner for the update.

What was causing my issue is we didn't put enough padding in the multicast from the inca encoder. As soon as we added 100k of padding results were better with audio sync.

Do you know if the next gen roku boxes can decode ac3?

Thanks
0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Roku Media Player is compatible with the AC3 audio format. 

You can see more about that here: https://support.roku.com/article/208754908-how-do-i-use-roku-media-player-to-play-my-videos-music-an...
0 Kudos