Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michael_Pyron
Binge Watcher

Re: Express keeps going to home screen

Jump to solution

I am having the same eshue. I am also totally blind, and I have to have my wife to tell me what comes up to get back to the program we are watching. I am running an older Roku, but I have an express as well. This just started happening 3 days ago out of nowhere. It just puts me back to home screen while watching. I am using philo. I just found this post yesterday by accident..lol Thank God I found it. Has there been an update to fix this problem? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jah56
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I don't watch the roku channel. 

0 Kudos
Jah56
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

So I watched a show on Roku channel and guess what it works on the Roku channel.  So Netflix and Roku work but nothing else.  Use to everything worked.  

CommanderZero
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution
Same thing happens to me with Prime and Hulu, missed two touchdowns during the Notre Dame-USC game yesterday. What's the fix Roku? This is unacceptable, it totally sucks!
BalorFan78

Jump to solution
I just started having this problem with my Express+. It's been doing it with the WWE and AT&T TV Now. Runs about 30 mins then it shuts off going to the home screen. I'm hoping Roku is seeing all these complaints and is working on an update to fix it.
0 Kudos
joe1959
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem with my Express unit shutting down and returning to the home screen after exactly 30-minutes.  This is happening with Prime and YouTube thus far.  As I type, I'm testing Netflix and the Roku Channel itself.  Has anyone gotten word of Roku fixing this with a patch?  Is there a way to remove the last update, which seemed to cause this issue?  Thanks, and good luck to us all!  

0 Kudos
joe1959
Streaming Star

Express shuts down Prime & YouTube and returns to home screen after 30-minutes.

Jump to solution

Apparently this is an ongoing issue that has yet to be resolved.  It's been happening for nearly a week now.  It may be related to the most recent update from what I've read in the associated threads.  After exactly 30-minutes of continuous play on Prime and YouTube, the Express unit shuts down to black and returns to the home page.  Very annoying to say the least.  I am testing Netflix and the Roku channel itself as I type.  Some have said there are no issues with those two channels.  We'll see...  Any solutions yet?  Has this issue been officially recognized as a major problem by Roku?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Anonymous_User
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution
Hey everyone - I've had some luck minimizing this issue. 1) I set my router to point to google public dns which is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. After that I rebooted my router. I HATE running things through google, but it seems to work in this situation. 2) I performed a factory reset on my Roku television. The downside is having to setup WiFi again and reload / login to all the apps again (what a pain). Having done that, my television has only rebooted once in past 3 weeks over wide-spread app usage, including those that gave me problems before. I think it issue is with Roku attempting to serve advertisements over certain apps and/or updating the Roku OS to more readily serve ads (thus affecting apps like Netflix). When watching live tv via the Xfinity app, I would see an advertisement, and then it would flash out and Roku would server their advertisement. I don't think they have it ironed out yet. I suspect pointing through google's dns plays nice with the whole advertisement proposition (google exists solely to server us targeted advertising - ugh). I'm really disappointing in Roku in their response to this (or silence, I should say). Here is a related 2018 article I came across while trouble-shooting my own issue: https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/20/17595384/roku-ceo-anthony-wood-ads-hardware-business-interview-bu... No promises, but it helped me and I hope it may help some of you.
0 Kudos
DocA1
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

What I find astounding is that Roku refuses to admit that this is a major bug in their 9.2.0 update and it seems to affect the Roku Express + the most. I found a workaround to the problem by rolling back to the previous update and my device no longer has this problem, but every time I try to tell someone how to do this, my posts are deleted! Roku, admit to the bug!

joe1959
Streaming Star

Re: Express shuts down Prime & YouTube and returns to home screen after 30-minutes.

Jump to solution

I have a support ticket for this issue in progress.  The only channel that works is the Roku Channel.  I'm guessing that it is detecting the intermittent commercials and giving the connectivity algo a thumbs up to continue uninterrupted!  As for Netflix, Prime, and YouTube, after 30-minutes exactly, the screen goes dark, and the system kicks me back to the home page.  Guess which channel they want you to watch - exclusively????   Tech support says they are aware of this widespread issue.  With such knowledge, one would think that they would have a fix in place by this point.  Instead, I was instructed to unplug all the cables to my TV, ROKU, and ROUTER, restart, and try again.  I did so to no avail.  The only channel that can make it beyond 30-minutes is the commercial ridden ROKU channel.  All other premium channels i.e. Amazon Prime, Netflix, and YouTube - all cut off to the ROKU home page at exactly 30-minutes into playtime.  

0 Kudos