Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nkkc
Visitor

Re: Express keeps going to home screen

Jump to solution
I'm having the same issue with two different Roku Expresses. Apps affected are Netflix, Xfinitiy app, Hulu, PBS Kids, and Amazon Prime. It doesn't happen every time I open those apps, with the exception of the Netflix app (this crashes constantly, typically a couple of seconds after I select a show). The other apps crash close randomly. Sometimes they work fine; at other times they won't work at all. 

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
0 Kudos
lcarhartt
Visitor

Jump to solution
"Tacoma" wrote:
"Basil" wrote:
"Tacoma" wrote:
...I will click on the disney now app it will go into it but then as soon as I click on shows it will kick me back to the home screen.  I am able to access the app on my tablet and my phone so I do not think it is a problem with the app 😞

Well, the app on the phone and tablet are either iOS or Android (most likely), and that's different OS than what Roku uses. So, it could be the app. Or it could be data about the app on the device. Let's pursue that for now.

Do these three steps in this order:

1. Remove the app

2. Reboot the Roku

3. Add the app

That would clear out most corrupt data and allow the app to load clean. You'll have to reauthenticate, of course. I suggest already being logged in to your service provider (cable/satellite/streaming) before you attempt to authenticate through the Disney Website. My experience is that's a cleaner process with fewer chances of issues. 

Let us know if that fixes it.

That worked!! Thanks so much.  You are a lifesaver!!

Worked for me too.  I have several Rokus throughout the house and none of the others did this.  I tried removing Sling and then adding it again to no avail.  Kept popping out to Roku home screen after about an hour.  The key is to reboot the Roku before adding it back.

WHOOPS!!!  That did not fix it after all.  While watching Sling, without interactions going on, it suddenly jumped to the Roku home screen again.  Guess my search for an answer continues.  Your help is appreciated.
0 Kudos
nkkc
Visitor

Jump to solution
Thanks. Do I need to reset the roku with a paperclip to reboot? Or just unplug for a bit? Or is a restart enough? If it’s a full reset, does that remove all apps or will I just need to reauthenticate everything?

Trying to determine when best to try this. Thanks again.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution
"nkkc" wrote:
Thanks. Do I need to reset the roku with a paperclip to reboot? Or just unplug for a bit? Or is a restart enough? If it’s a full reset, does that remove all apps or will I just need to reauthenticate everything?

Trying to determine when best to try this. Thanks again.

You should be able to reboot from the menu, although cutting power will certainly do a reboot. Don't use the reset button. That's for a factory reset. You don't want that.

Yes, I know that reset and reboot are often used, correctly, as the same thing. But for the purposes of this discussion, "reset" refers to a factory reset, and a standard reset is called a "reboot." When Roku says "reset" they're talking factory reset.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Tsings

Jump to solution
Most of the comments I read were from 2018....
It's now August 2019 and I'm still having these issues. Any number of apps exit mid stream, or at a commercial. Hulu, ESPN+, xfinity, etc etc etc.

Still no real solution for this? Why did I bother getting this if I can't actually use it? I think I'm going to blast Roku's Facebook page until they solve it. Feel free to join me.
0 Kudos
Basil
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
"Tsings" wrote:
Most of the comments I read were from 2018....
It's now August 2019 and I'm still having these issues.  Any number of apps exit mid stream, or at a commercial.  Hulu,  ESPN+, xfinity, etc etc etc.

Still no real solution for this? Why did I bother getting this if I can't actually use it? I think I'm going to blast Roku's Facebook page until they solve it. Feel free to join me.

My Roku works great. I wonder what I'm doing wrong.
Basil
Longtime Roku user
0 Kudos
Kuhl
Visitor

Jump to solution
I am experiencing this issue as well. I think the Disney app is a red herring, this seems to be a larger Roku Express issue.

For me this is happening for at least Hulu, Sling, and Google Play Movies on my Roku Express. I can generally go about 20-30 minutes before it takes me to the home page. Not that huge of a deal when watching a sitcom, but it's really a pain when watching an hour long show or a movie (especially on Hulu where resuming a show or movie tends to take you back before the previous commercial break)

I also have a Roku 2 that does not have this issue (and has never had it).
0 Kudos
MindTrap
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution
I am now having the same issue with my Roku Express. It is happening with Hulu TV, Hulu and Amazon Prime. It seems it is happening after 30 minutes of non activity. If I touch my remote during this time I restart a new 30 minute imaginary clock. Please help. This is annoying and I love Roku. We even have the TCL downstairs.

Edit: Could it be on the way we exit the programs? Adding a screen saver or new background? Should I do a factory reset and not add any screen savers or backgrounds?
Let me know what to do to troubleshoot this issue. I will be happy to do whatever it takes to resolve this, apparently, long, ongoing issue.
0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution
Thanks for letting us know what you are seeing. 

We'd recommend trying to restart your device and your wireless router to see if this helps clear up the issue. You might also try removing one of the affected channels, restart your device, then try adding the channel back once more. 

Also, make sure to visit Settings>System>System update>Check now and check for any system updates. 

If the issue continues to occur from there, please send me a private message with your Roku account email address and the serial number fo your Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll follow up with you directly to continue assisting you from there. 

Cheers,
Tanner
0 Kudos
Jah56
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution
I have 3 roku1's as of Aug 3rd 2019 they
all like clockwork in 20 to 30 minutes back up to the main page. Always worked fine till then. On Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, basically everything in the channel store I use, now does this. I have done factory resets on all of them, tried all the other stuff first, set my router back to original state. The cable company came out checked all my stuff, router, checked wires, speed etc. I thought maybe it was because my rokus are older, but obviously if it's doing it on the Express theres more to the problem. After the cable company came out I figured it was fixed. Nope not at all nothing works. Roku needs to get this figured out
0 Kudos