Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Apps Dropping after 2 or more hours

Jump to solution

Question?
Why does my channel apps like Sling on Roku kick me back  MAIN ROKU MENU after 2 or more hours? If I want to watch or just put my Roku on a channel app  for 24hr, I payed for it... Tired of getting dumped when I'm watching from kitchen or just listening ... 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Apps Dropping after 2 or more hours

Jump to solution

@morganfj  Thanks for the note here. There are a couple reasons this type of behavior might occur. There is a Roku setting (which can be disabled) that helps save bandwidth by ending playback after 4 hours. This called 'Bandwidth saver' and is accessible in Settings>Network on your device. 

If this is disabled, and you still see this type of behavior, it's likely the individual channel's own feature or functionality. Some channels also display a message after a period of time to confirm whether or not a user is still watching. (e.g. Are you still watching?) These channels' features may automatically stop playback after a period of time, based on whether or not a user confirms this type of prompt. 

If you observe this activity happening with any specific channel (app) on your device, we'd recommend reaching out to the channel developer directly to report the behavior, and inquire further as to whether they offer additional options to control or manage this behavior in their channel. 

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@morganfj  Thanks for the note here. There are a couple reasons this type of behavior might occur. There is a Roku setting (which can be disabled) that helps save bandwidth by ending playback after 4 hours. This called 'Bandwidth saver' and is accessible in Settings>Network on your device. 

If this is disabled, and you still see this type of behavior, it's likely the individual channel's own feature or functionality. Some channels also display a message after a period of time to confirm whether or not a user is still watching. (e.g. Are you still watching?) These channels' features may automatically stop playback after a period of time, based on whether or not a user confirms this type of prompt. 

If you observe this activity happening with any specific channel (app) on your device, we'd recommend reaching out to the channel developer directly to report the behavior, and inquire further as to whether they offer additional options to control or manage this behavior in their channel. 

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks.. Nailed it, that was the problem...

Cheers

0 Kudos