Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nicwolfie

AppleTV Content Won't Play

I cannot get any programs that are Apple-specific to play in the Apple TV app on my Roku. I thought the issue was my Roku so I bought a new one... Streaming Stick+ 3810X. I have tried everything suggested, reset the Roku, uninstall and reinstall the channel, change audio from Auto DD to Stereo... NOTHING WORKS. I just keep getting "Video Not Available... There's a problem loading this video. Check internet..." It's not the Internet. All other devices in my home are working fine. I can watch Apple TV on my iPad... It's only an issue on the Roky... What is going on?!?!?!

11 REPLIES 11
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: AppleTV Content Won't Play

@Nicwolfie

Thanks for the post.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more. Does this clear up the issue you are seeing? Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
epmj802
Reel Rookie

I'm having the same issue - none of the apple tv programs will play. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the channel, and it makes no difference. I've confirmed that my roku device is "supported" by apple (Model 4200x). I can't get anyone to do anything about this. Apple TV plays on my computer and on my phone, but not on my TV. I also tried it on a brand new Roku Smart TV and it didn't work there either. Very frustrating...

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@epmj802 wrote:

... I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the channel, ...

It's a three step process.

1. Remove the app
  2. Restart the Roku
  3. Reinstall the app

All three steps in that order. Miss one or change the order and it wasn't done sufficiently.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Roku does make TV’s. TCL, ONN or Sharp do. I have 2 TCL Roku TV’s. I subscribe to Apple TV and watch it with no problems at all. Is your TV up to date? Did you try a factory reset? Did you try to remove the channel, restart the TV then re add the channel?

0 Kudos
epmj802
Reel Rookie

Thanks DBDukes. I did this in exactly the order you outlined. It worked for about 45 minutes (which was the best result yet - so I thought that was great). I redid it, multiple times since then, and it worked for anywhere from 10 minutes to not at all. Weirdest thing, really... And super frustrating...

0 Kudos
epmj802
Reel Rookie

Thank you TrooperDada326, I was not as specific as I should/could have been in my original post. One of our TV's we purchased brand new - a TCL Roku TV, 4K HDR, 4-series (not sure which, but either a S431, S433, or S435, according to the booklet). The other is older, but works with every other Roku channel in the universe, so I don't think it's "too" old. Because I have the same issue on two different TVs, I'm thinking the issue is with the Apple TV channel/app. I've seen many posts on many forums, and it seems reasonable to believe that they are aware of the problem... it seems as though they generally don't feel it's at critical mass enough for them to actually fix it...? For now I'll keep watching on my phone (which is ridiculous) until I cancel my subscription - which I think is where this is going...

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@epmj802 

I'm hesitant to suggest the Roku 2 is now bad. It's a good device, despite its age (it's internally the same as a Roku 3 model 4200 from 2013). The fact your other Roku device, a Roku TV, is experiencing the same issue is weird.

Are you using a VPN? Have you changed DNS settings on your network? Anything at all that corresponds (roughly) to the beginning of the issue?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Zy3

I'm having the same problem.  Not being able to communicate with anyone in Roku customer support is very disappointing.   I can watch anything from AppleTV on my laptop, but not on my dumb TV via Roku 3930x.   All other streaming (Netflix, Prime, Passport, etc) work fine.  AppleTV told me to buy an apple device, or connect my TV via an HDMI cable to my laptop, or to see if a newer Roku device would work.   That third option would be my preferred choice, but without being able to speak with any support person at Roku is taking that option off the table.

I've checked an rebooted everything (internet, wifi, Roku, AppleTV).......none of it solves the problem.

Roku, if you're listening, please let me know what the solution is here.   You're about to lose another customer.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Zy3,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand that you're having a problem with the AppleTV on your Roku. We apologize for the delayed support provided here.

We'd like to take a closer look at this. Could you please elaborate on the steps that led you to this issue? When did you start seeing the issue occur? Have you tried reinstalling the app, making sure to restart your device, before adding it back to see if you're still seeing the same issue occur?

Let us know more about this so that we can further investigate it.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos