Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnA1
Level 7

Apple TV through soundbar - Only static noises

I purchased my Roku Ultra in March. A few weeks ago, I purchased a Wohome soundbar. The Roku is connected to my LG TV via an HDMI cable, and the sound goes from the TV to the soundbar via an optic cable. This has all worked great since I got the soundbar...

... until I tried Apple TV for the first time last night.

When I try to play anything on the Roku Apple TV app, the video is fine, but the audio is replaced by an ongoing screeching/static noise. I have tried various settings on the soundbar remote (Music/TV/Movie toggle, TR+/TR-, Input, BA+/BA-, etc.); the noise slightly changes when I adjust these settings, but it does not go away. 

A bit of additional info:

• The show's actual sound does not seem to come through at all. (It's not like the static noise is just louder than the show's sound -- the static noise seems to be there in place of the show's sound.)
  • I've tried multiple shows on the Apple TV app, and they all have this problem.
  • The Apple TV app sound comes through fine if I turn off the soundbar and listen through my TV, which is what I did last night to get by.
  • I am not having issues like this with any other apps on the Roku (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc., are all fine) -- just Apple TV. 
  • I had never accessed the Apple TV app via Roku until last night, so I cannot say if this is a new issue -- but I'm assuming not.
  • I have tried deleting the Apple TV app and reinstalling it, and it did not solve the issue. (I found another thread where someone had a different sound-related issue with the Apple TV app, and that was the suggestion: https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/Apple-TV-app-has-no-sound/td-p/593520#:~:text....)

Any suggestions? Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Henry1
Level 7

Re: Apple TV through soundbar - Only static noises

I am having the exact same issue with my soundbar, anyone have any potential fixes? 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Henry1 @JohnA1 

Thanks for the posts.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-does this issue occur when you are not plugging in your soundbar
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-can you provide a video of the issue you are experiencing

With more information we will be able to investigate the issue further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
JohnA1
Level 7

@RokuDanny-R 

Thank you for getting back to me, and I apologize for my delay in replying. Here are the answers to your questions:

-Roku device model - 4670X - Roku Ultra
-serial number - YJ00A8326031
-device ID - KW99AA326031
-software OS/version - 9.4.0 * build 4190-46
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button) - Apple TV - Version 5.1 * build 148
-does this issue occur when you are not plugging in your soundbar - No. If I listen through my TV speakers, the issue does not occur. 
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times) 31-460-301
-can you provide a video of the issue you are experiencing - I can get a video on my phone, but I'm not quite sure how to upload it here. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@JohnA1 

Thanks for providing us with that information.

I have passed along your information to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
msjane
Level 7

I am having the same problem, using the optical out on my sony monitor through a digital to analog decoder from amazon.   :/

0 Kudos