Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MSully56
Channel Surfer

Apple TV suddenly started crashing on my Roku 3

Jump to solution

I had recently installed Apple TV on my Roku 3 4200 X, and everything went well and I was able to watch anything I wanted, including apple plus shows. Starting today, when I select Apple TV from the menu, it briefly flashes the Apple TV logo on the screen then goes blank and won't do anything... it totally crashes the Roku box. When I press the home button, all the channels are just flickering on the screen and won't properly load. I can either reset the box, or navigate to one of the other channels, and even though it's flickering and you can't read it, if I choose it it will load nonetheless, and then I can back out of that and everything looks normal again.

What have I tried?  I have deleted and reinstalled the Apple TV app no fewer than six times. I have made sure that the Roku box is completely up to date. I have removed the SD card, then rebooted and reinstalled Apple TV.  Every time I uninstall the app, I also reboot the system before I reinstall it. I have done a cold reset on my high-speed AT&T router. All other channels and apps on my Roku device work properly with no issues, its only the Apple TV app that crashes. I'm wondering if maybe there was an Apple TV app update in the last couple days, or a Roku update that's now causing this problem? I have a different newer Roku box in the other room on another TV and the Apple App works fine there.  According to the system info screen, my unit is a Roku model 3, 4200X, running software version 10.5.0, build #4174-04 if that helps anyone.  One coincidence here is that I signed up for a 7-day free trial that would convert to a paid subscription after the seven days, and this issue seems to have coincided with the expiration of my free trial period… I thought I should include that information just in case it matters. Sure hope somebody has the answer to this issue...

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Apple TV suddenly started crashing on my Roku 3

Jump to solution

10/12/2021 Roku update of OS 1474->4181 and airplay update fixed both AirPlay and AppleTV problems last night. Roku3-4200X.         

View solution in original post

40 REPLIES 40
namgaw
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same issue. And I can't believe that Roku is placing the responsibility on its users to contact Apple. That is not why I use Roku - I expect better support.

MSully56
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I posted this on an Apple forum also... I'll share any relevant answers if I get any here as well...

So I tried to post the above comment, but apparently there is a minimum character count of 140, so this is to achieve that requirement… strange requirement I might add…

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@namgaw wrote:

Same issue. And I can't believe that Roku is placing the responsibility on its users to contact Apple. That is not why I use Roku - I expect better support.

Roku has no control over the functionality of third party channels. And they are all 3rd party channels except The Roku Channel and Roku Media Player. Apple developed the channel for Roku devices, and only they provide support for it. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
AaronLafcadio
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Same exact issue! Thanks for describing perfectly - been trying trouble shoot 2 hours  cause want to watch The Morning Show and Mr. Corman on TV #appletv+

0 Kudos
user_3000
Reel Rookie

Re: Apple TV crashing and freezing

Jump to solution

I also am having the same issue of only AppleTV freezing the Roku. Everything has been working fine until the last couple of days. I have checked other Roku devices in the house and they are able to run AppleTV. The one that won't is a Roku 3 4230X with software 10.5.0 Build 4174-04.

I deleted the app, restarted and reinstalled the app and no joy. All other streaming apps are working perfectly.

I called Apple Support and they said that it is not their problem, it's Roku's. I know that is a big surprise.

0 Kudos
MSully56
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the info atc98092... are you possibly aware of whether or not Apple has addressed this yet?  I posted this same post to an Apple TV Support Community blog page, subcategories of Apple TV Hardware, and as a reply to a similar post on Apple TV Apps, but no responses yet.  Also, are you aware if Roku can offer an older version of Apples app for download, since this is probably related to an update from Apple that was auto-installed?

Also, for everybody that reads this post and has the same issue, please make your own post describing this issue to an Apple Support Community blog, or at least post a reply to mine here... https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253237548  Hopefully if enough of us squeak the wheel, it will get greased. 

And if any one of us gets a working answer somewhere else, please post that answer here for all of us.

Thanks…

namgaw
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I called Apple support, and they recommended that I call Roku!? MSully56, I added my name to your ticket on Apple.                                                

0 Kudos
Skipkilmer

Jump to solution

Same issue on my Roku 2. I have 4 TVs with Roku players and only the one that did a recent update has this problem. No other App seems affected.

0 Kudos
AaronLafcadio
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@MSully56 @Skipkilmer @namgaw 

Added me too to apple ticket #appletv+ issue

0 Kudos