Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Apple TV poor picture quality

Been watching some 4k hdr movies I bought on Apple TV on my roku SS+. Even though they are displaying in 4k and HDR the picture quality is poor compared to watching 4k HDr titles via other services and hardware.
It’s hard to explain but in the background I can see rough graduation in scenes instead of it being smooth. Just looks like it’s over compressed or something? I don’t know if this is being caused by the roku device or Apple TV ? Anyone else comment?

[post moved to appropriate board]

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Apple TV poor picture quality

I have appletv 4k, it streams better than Roku, could it be a proprietary thing with Apple?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have two Sharp LCD 50” 4K smart TV sets. Both have the AppleTV app. Generally the video is great, but between scene changes I occasionally have a very distorted image that seems to slowly dissolve from the previous scene to the new scene. Sometimes the image is badly smeared and only the motion of the new scene is evident over a completely trashed background. It only happens between scene changes and not everytime, but both TVs present the same problem with the same scenes. I am including a photo of one scene from “The Morning Show”. This image is not one of the worst screens I have seen...most are much worse. I read that the app was developed by Apple - not Roku or Sharp.

Does anyone have an idea of what I can do to eliminate this problem?

Thanks in advance.

AppleTV Plus - The Morning ShowAppleTV Plus - The Morning Show

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I just got Apple TV 4K and compared same scene from YoutubeTV show “Impulse” (excellent... very good show) and on Amazon Fire and Roku 4K . All are set at 4.2.2 and set on same network and steaming at 4K 60fps. The Roku picture is so much brighter and clear. Apple TV is worst with artifacts and pixelation. Determined to use Roku at main and Apple TV when needing Music. 

0 Kudos