Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rruss10067
Reel Rookie

Re: Apple TV+ playback not working - A fix that worked for me

Jump to solution

This suggestion was the starting point of my correction.  I turned the ultra-dark off on my OLED TV and it didnt help.  So I assumed that this wasnt the problem and went ahead and toggled the ultra-dark back on.  That actually solved the problem - turning it off and then back on.  Odd.

0 Kudos
Seaan
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@rruss10067 
My theory - toggling the ultra-dark setting reset the HDCP connection (which I am pretty sure is the root cause of the problem). Not that Roku pays me to QA their gear, but seems pretty likely this is a bug in the Apple Channel (or it has uncovered a Roku bug in the underlying HDMI/HDCP libraries).    

TWelch77
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have a Vizio TV and under the Picture settings I had Film mode toggled on. Once I turned it off it was like magic, all my Apple TV videos started playing. 

0 Kudos
SPiFFY226
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have been having the problem only in the last day or so. And we watched a whole 10 episodes of the TMS on AppleTV+ without a hitch. Suddenly this happens when we hit episode 8 of Servant.

I have the streaming stick+ and an LG TV. I noticed that the whole toggle between HDMI deep color does work. Once you switch between on and off, the show will play on AppleTV+. However, the video will not stream as HDR. Only in 4K. It baffles my mind that the channel is so broken it has trouble with the HDCP handling. Sometimes it will stream in HDR10. And sometimes it won't.

Meanwhile; the "Airplay" function seems to work consistently. I even switch between shows and everytime I "airplay" it from my phone, they are streamed in HDR10 on the TV. 

I truly believe it's the AppleTV channel on Roku devices that needs an update as the device seems to have no problem streaming 4K HDR content anywhere else. (Except maybe Tubi, and a few others.)

piggyback
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Same issue here. Tried a lot of ideas with no solution so far... getting worse over time. It is not totally broken. Happens during certain time. Wondering if it is a buffering issue.

I am playing AppleTV with the app on Roku. My Roku is connected to a Marantz receiver to a Sony projector.
Netflix, Amazon and other app play without any issue. Frankly, amazing how stable everything is working.
However, this is different for AppleTV.

What is happening:
Content would stop playing at any given random point, circle wheel, and then get error message "stream not avail. - check your Internet". Once that happened it is impossible to get the content to play again. Even if I get going again, I starts from the beginning. But then if skip forward same thing is happening again.

I did some online searches and issues with AppleTV on Roku appear to be very common. I tried many of the suggestions that apply to my setup. So far, with no improvement. Yes, my internet checks out always above 85Mbs, restarted, checked HDMI,...

Wondering if anyone else is in the same situation and if anybody found a solution. Or if Apple will discontinue Roku support?

0 Kudos
taxmanrpm

Re: Apple TV+ playback not working

Jump to solution

Thanks!  This is the only option so far that works for me.  Apple and Roku need to work together to find a permanent fix.  Until then this workaround will have to do.  I appreciate you posting this.

0 Kudos
taxmanrpm

Jump to solution

In my post above I am referring to the workaround mentioned to start it on your iPhone or iPad first.  Then go to the Roku app and it will play.

0 Kudos
lmolter
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

FWIW, this is definitely a problem with the Apple TV app for Roku  because I attached a FireStick to the TV, loaded the app, and I can watch anything on the FireStick. Unfortunately, Apple has no response.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I have a Samsung phone. I literally tried all steps here and nothing worked. What worked for me was that I signed into the apple account from my PHONE. 

2. On the apple TV website I found the movie that I wanted 

3. Once I started to play it. I then went into the settings on my Androud phone and hit Smart View.

4. I was able to cast from my Android phone to the Roku TV by just basically having it to mirror.

I know its not what we want but it is a small work around. You just won't be abel to use your phone and most likely will have to put it on DO NOT DISTURB so you dont get any calls or messages.

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
jgr789
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

What would that setting be in a Visio TV?  Having the same problem but I can't find the Option "HDMI Ultra Deep HD Color" in any of the Picture settings.

0 Kudos