Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rruss10067
Reel Rookie

Re: Apple TV+ playback not working - A fix that worked for me

Jump to solution

mark me down and failing with the roku premiere 4k

0 Kudos
rruss10067
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

No.  There was no other magic combination.  Just toggle that setting.

0 Kudos
TWelch77
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Danny it is every device with the name Roku on it. I have researched and from what I understand Apple pushes their audio/video content out at the highest resolution and quality possible, which means no need to upscale or modify it. My big issue with Roku is that I have 4 different Roku devices 2 Streaming sticks+ a Premiere, and an Ultra, and the Roku setting that has Auto-detect should allow me to play the content and do the work for me. 

0 Kudos
SPiFFY226
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It's been a while and while disabling the "Deep Color" setting (or "Film" mode or "Ultra Dark", etc etc) fixes the issue in the short term, the problem will eventually return. It really seems like it's an HDCP issue. That could lie either in the way Apple encodes the content or how the ROKU decodes it for playback.

Either way, the only long term fix i have found for my setup (ROKU Streaming Stick+ with an older LG SJ8500) is to disable the variable refresh rate in the Settings menu on the ROKU. ThIs means every content will be streamed at 60Hz and be upscaled to 4K. It won't switch modes anymore. The HDR though will toggle on when available. It's been a few months and the solution seems to stick. 

Hope this helps. 

0 Kudos
JayDog82

Re: Apple TV+ playback not working

Jump to solution

The only settings you need to change to make Apple TV work are inside the app itself. Open Apple TV app and go into settings on top right of screen. Toggle “only allow sd playback” to “on” then exit settings and it’ll work. Though this works, it still irks me that I have to settle for standard definition quality. It’s probably because Apple doesn’t want you to watch Apple TV on a Roku device but on an Apple TV device instead. 

0 Kudos
JayDog82

Jump to solution

I needed to amend my last statement to reflect you also have to go into display settings on the Roku settings and you can select any resolution as long as it’s not HDR. I’m currently on 4K 60Hz UHD (ultra high definition) and it’s working fine as long as “only stream sd” is toggled on in the AppleTV settings. Hope this helps. 

0 Kudos
ActorCam
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

FIXED IT, at least for now.

Reading this thread I pieced it together, here are the exact settings I changed.

In the Roku menu, go to "Settings --> System --> Advanced system settings --> Advanced display settings --> Auto-adjust display refresh rate." Mine had been set to "On." I changed it to "Off."

I also changed "Settings --> System --> Advanced system settings --> Advanced display settings --> HDR subsampling" from 4.2.2 back to 4.2.0.

I had one "unavailable" message since making these changes, but maybe eight successful plays of a movie.

I'll monitor over the next few days and update if I have more.

johnSas
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It is hit or miss on playing a movie with Apple TV and 4K ultra, some do play and some don't, It is the ULTRA that has the problem for sure with 4K screen. Does Tech support have the capability to duplicate the issue or they will continue playing dumb pretending they don;t what is going on, Serious companies will have this elevated to engineering and they will be working on a fix instead of having the forum participants do trial and error. this can be fixed with a firmware roll.  

0 Kudos
kfallsfan
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes! This also worked for my Epson 8350 1080P projector. In the Roku menu, go to "Settings --> System --> Advanced system settings --> Advanced display settings --> Auto-adjust display refresh rate. None had been set to "On." I changed it to "Off." I was then able to watch at 1080p instead of 720p like before. Thank you 

0 Kudos
BarryS
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi,

Had this same problem recently where none of the shows on Apple+ would play and just get an error msg. This is on the Roku Ultra. Wanted to advise that just changing the "Auto display frequency" to OFF, as someone already suggested here, but NO need to change anything else, resolves this problem. Of course this is a bug but as in the past, I'm not holding my breath for a fix anytime soon. This lack of urgency appears to be a mainstay when it comes to Roku equipment and related updates.

Barry

0 Kudos