Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iFrog
Roku Guru

Re: Apple TV App (Service) and Roku

Jump to solution

@toondog wrote:

No Atmos?

Does the Roku even support ATMOS at all?  It's been a while since I've looked into the issue.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@iFrog wrote:

@toondog wrote:

No Atmos?

Does the Roku even support ATMOS at all?  It's been a while since I've looked into the issue.

Yes, but it's up to the app/channel developer to support it. I know that Vudu and Prime Video both support Atmos on Roku. Movies Anywhere might, but I can't say for sure. I don't have my Ultra connected to an Atmos-enabled AVR right now, so that might change what is offered. Kind of like when you're connected to a 1080 TV 4K titles aren't available on most apps. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
iFrog
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

@iFrog wrote:

@toondog wrote:

No Atmos?

Yes, but it's up to the app/channel developer to support it. I know that Vudu and Prime Video both support Atmos on Roku. Movies Anywhere might, but I can't say for sure. I don't have my Ultra connected to an Atmos-enabled AVR right now, so that might change what is offered. Kind of like when you're connected to a 1080 TV 4K titles aren't available on most apps. 

Apple may not have chosen to support Atmos then, because their own hardware does.   They may want to allow the content on other devices, but maybe they thought if they gave everything, no one would want to buy an Apple TV anymore.

Flokic
Binge Watcher

Re: Apple TV+ on Roku 4

Jump to solution

Btw you are wrong, just checked and the display type I have chosen on my Roku 4 is "4K HDR at 60Hz"

atc98092

Jump to solution

Then that's a welcome but surprising change. And I've lost my only guess why Apple excluded that player from the eligible list. 

Although perhaps it recognizes an HDR capable display, but still doesn't actually support HDR playback. No way on knowing that without playing some actual HDR content. Mine is hooked to a 720p set, so no way of testing it myself. 

Dan

Flokic
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

My TV is just 4K, don't have HDR so it isn't detecting it as 4K HDR and if it is, it's mistaken.

The options are there: 720p; 1080p; 4K at 30Hz; 4K at 60Hz; 4K HDR at 30Hz; 4K HDR at 60Hz

atc98092

Jump to solution

Those are the same options my Ultra shows. Perhaps Roku did upgrade the 4. Maybe @RokuTannerD or @RokuDanny-R could confirm that for certain. That's likely good news for some Roku 4 owners. But why won't Apple support it with this app? That's the question now. And only Apple can answer it, unfortunately. 

Dan

andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Seems odd that they will support a basic Express, but not the slightly older but higher-end 4? Performance-wise, I think both are virtually the same.

Flokic
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Roku 4 is the only Roku device you can actually power off! I also have an Express (3900) and find the Roku 4 far superior but this Apple thing, well, defies logic!

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The lack of Roku 4 support is perhaps a bit ironic, considering internal version/build info suggests a roku4 development core:

Version  2.0.0.2R115:3.0.0 (roku4-2R115)

HDR or 4K aren't requirements (e.g. the SS (3800) is supported).

Perhaps a clue to the exclusion of the Roku 4 is the fact that it is the only Roku streamer using the Sigma Designs HiDTV-Pro UXL STV7723A01 chip (or any chip other than ARM/MStar/Broadcom). 

Since Roku never used this chip or any other from Sigma on any other/future products, and Sigma is effectively defunct/dissolved, it heavily suggests limitations/issues of some kind, be they technical and/or legal - one of which may be the exclusionary factor for the Apple TV app.