Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dtp555-1212
Level 7

Apple TV not support on newer devices???

Looking at the listed devices that support Apple TV app, I notice that Roku 4 is not listed (but older Roku 3, 2, ...) are listed... Is this a case in which the 'list' is out of date, or is it possible that 'newer' devices don't have the same capabilities as older devices (i.e. less capable fro some things?)

0 Kudos
5 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Apple TV not support on newer devices???

The Roku 4 is an outlier, as it's the only 4K player that doesn't support HDR. So my guess is that's why it doesn't get some of the newer channels. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
dtp555-1212
Level 7

Interesting theory... you may be right, however, I think there are a lot of older devices than the ROKU 4 'may' also not support the HDR, yet are supported. (although, I have not done a feature comparison to prove that out). It just seems odd that a newer device is less capable.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Yes, but those older devices are 1080 only. For 4K devices the Roku 4 is the only one that doesn't support HDR.

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
dtp555-1212
Level 7

It looks like just the lack of HDR, is not the deciding factor... I checked the list of supported devices and it includes some that also don't support HDR, so it 'maybe' they will add support for the Apple TV app in the future (hopefully).

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Yeah, it's not the lack of HDR, it's that the 4 is a 4K player without HDR. All other 4K devices are supported. So they are supporting some older 1080 players, but for the 4K players they want them to support HDR. 

Dan
0 Kudos