Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jesstray
Reel Rookie

Re: Apple TV crashing and freezing

Unfortunately uninstalling and rebooting does not resolve the issue. I even contacted Apple support but they directed me to Roku support. Please let me know if you have any other advice on how to fix this.

0 Kudos
Gavi

Yep only AppleTV app does it. It happens in my Roku TV and in the roku adapter.

it’s an Apple TV thing, no other app has this error 

0 Kudos
MountainDawg
Reel Rookie

Why does Roku sound like a broken record on this forum, saying to do the same steps over and over... Read what EVERYONE is saying... those steps are not working. Roku, Apple, hello? YOU have a problem to fix, we don't.

0 Kudos
shmoore14

I am also having issues. We have two TCL Roku Tvs in our home that are approximately 4 ("TV2") and 2 ("TV1") years old, respectively.

TV1 started having the exact issue described by others when watching Apple TV+ where the sound starts cutting in and out, then the TV resets. At first the app would crash. Then the problem started getting worse and eventually the TV started doing a full factory reset where we had to reinstall all of our apps and info. Now it has progressed to the point that even using other apps or watching antenna TV the TV resets constantly. (This started about two weeks ago). At first I had thought it was just the problem described in this thread, but now the TV basically can't be used because you have to constantly reset the thing - so we've just kinda stopped using it while I try to see if Amazon (where we purchased it) will give me some sort of refund.

Then today on TV2 we were watching Apple TV+ and it crashed. Just the app, no full factory reset yet. But, reading this thread has me wondering if there is something where the software is corrupting the tv or causing it to overheat or doing something to damage the TV. These are obviously just hypotheses.

SO I guess two big questions I'd be looking for answers to:

1) is there a fix for or refund/ repair option for TV1?

2) Is there a chance that the Apple TV+ app some how caused the issues with TV1? and could that happen to TV2?

TV1

Model: 8113X - Roku TV

Serial Number: YKOOAV735091 (JAA9AA735091)

Software version: 10.5.0 - build 4201-48

issue ID 91-457-599

TV2

Model: 7103X - Roku TV

Serial number: YS00NC556249 (8SFOON556249)

Software Version: 10.0.0 - build 4209-30

issue ID 49-457-596

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that if you have already provided the information we have requested, we have passed it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

We appreciate your patience while we look further into this issue.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Briley239
Reel Rookie

I am also having the same issue (loss of sound and freezing picture) and it’s been happening ever since I installed the  Apple TV app. I’ve removed app, restarted, and reinstalled app - the same issue continues. 

model: 3810RW

serial: YH008G958383

software version: 10.5.0 build 4201-50

device ID: 223038958383

Please help me fix this issue. 

0 Kudos
Schoonr222

I am also having the same issue with Apple TV

model: 3810X

serial: YH008Y007635

software version: 10.5.0 build 4201-50

device ID: C138A8007635

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Briley239 @Schoonr222

Thanks for the posts.

Can you please provide us with more detailed information about the issue you are experiencing:
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have more information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
areemefsee
Reel Rookie

I had a theory: the issue with the Apple TV channel relates to Roku hardware and Apple TV code/programming. Based on my findings listed in the table at the bottom of this post, hardware does not appear to be the issue. I experienced issues with Apple TV before the latest update. The only difference I was able to find was the software version.

• I have a Roku Soundbar that exhibits stuttering, freezing, audio/video sync issues while playing Apple TV content. It seems that channels and shows load slower and navigating is not as snappy. (Model #: 9101X, v.10.5.0.4201)
  • I have a Roku Ultra LT that plays Apple TV content flawlessly. Channels load quickly, shows load quickly, menus are snappy. (Model #: 4662RW, v10.5.0.4208)
  • Both are running Apple TV v8.1 build 70.

I ruled out issues with poor Wifi signal quality as both devices are in the exact location in my home. When looking at my router both connect at 5Ghz.

Support suggested using a USB ethernet adaptor to help with performance. How to use USB to connect your Roku® streaming device to a wired network. I did this and still see some issues with the soundbar, but they appear to be less pronounced.

I found the hardware specs here: Hardware specifications I created a table of the specs for my devices.

Device NameCode NameModelCPURAMAccelerated Graphics APIMax UI ResolutionMax Playback ResolutionSoftware
HDR SupportIDK Support
Roku Ultra LTBryan -W4662XARM Cortex A531 GBOpenGL ES 2.01080p4K60fps, HDR10.5.0.4208HDR 10No
 Roku Smart SoundbarFruitland9100XARM Cortex A531 GBOpenGL ES 2.01080p4K60fps, HDR10.5.0.4201HDR10No
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@areemefsee

Thanks for the post.

If you are unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos