Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jaquith
Binge Watcher

Apple TV channel - Login Failure

Jump to solution

Today October 15th .. I downloaded and installed the new Apple TV App, but I can't login either Directly or by it even generating a Code. Obviously I have an Apple ID and it's otherwise working. Please fix and advise.

Labels (1)
4 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Jaquith
Binge Watcher

Re: Apple TV channel - Login Failure

Jump to solution

Okay got a Solution (BUG) - Apple TV  will NOT work with an SD Card installed:

1. Uninstall the Apple TV App
  2. Unplug the Roku and un-insert the SD Card; NOTE: if you have multiple Roku's with SD Cards un-insert or remove ALL the SD Card(s).
  3. Power on the Roku
  4. Install the Apple TV App
  5. (Test) If under Settings / Sign In / you Click on .. Sign In On Mobile Device and you get the message "Verification Failed":
    1. Go back to Settings / then Reset Apple TV and click (in red) Reset Apple TV
    2. Exit Apple TV 
    3. You may have to repeat Step 5 and after a 3 fails I'd uninstall and reinstall the Apple TV App, to remove the corruption.
  6. IF you have 2FA (Two-Factor Authentication), under Settings / "Sign In"
    1. Click Sign In On Mobile Device and follow the directions
    2. Enter the Code _ _ _ _ at https://activate.apple.com/
    3. You will need to login to your Apple account; I did this on a PC and my Android phone
    4. A working Apple iPad or iPhone is required, you will receive a 6-digit Code, Enter it on whatever you used to access https://activate.apple.com/
    5. Success .. REPEAT the 2FA process for each Roku
    6. Reinsert your SD Card AFTER ALL Roku's have been Activated
  7. IF you do not have 2FA then you can attempt to use Settings / Sign In / Sign In On This TV using your Apple ID (email) and Password. Do not re-insert any SD Cards until all Roku's have Apple TV Apps activated.

More information see https://support.roku.com/article/360036652634

I have Roku Ultra 4660X's and with 32GD microSD cards, one is running Roku OS 9.1 and the other Roku OS 9.2 and my Apple account is using 2FA (Two Factor Authentication). The problem is the Apple TV App cannot run off an SD Card. It's a 100% BUG that Apple needs to fix.

Good Luck!

View solution in original post

RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Jaxco Thanks for reaching out. If you're running into an issue logging into the Apple TV channel, we'd recommend contacting Apple TV support for more help. You can reach them here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232#us-ca or visit their help center here: https://getsupport.apple.com/

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
kevin15
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have a TCL TV and had the same issue. What finally worked for me was putting the Roku into guest mode, and adding the Apple TV channel. I was then able to sign in. Then when I exited guest mode sign in worked normally.   Hope this helps. 

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Al231,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

If you see a message on the screen mentioning overheating, we would recommend taking a look at our Support page for more information regarding What to do if the red light is on or you see a “Your device is overheating” message | Official Roku ...

Let us know if there's any difference after.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
142 REPLIES 142
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Jaquith 

Thanks for the note here!

If you're having trouble signing in, please take a look here for more detailed instructions to assist you with the login process: https://support.roku.com/article/360036652634

If you're still having difficulty getting logged, in you'll want to visit Apple's Support site here for more help logging into their channel on the Roku platform. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Jaquith
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution
Did that before I posted, it's not working!
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Our apologies for the inconvenience.

Have you tried removing the channel from the Roku home screen, restarting your device from Settings>System>System restart, then adding the channel back once more? 

If that still isn't resolving the issue, you'll need to contact Apple Support directly for additional help. We don't have the ability to assist with login issues for 3rd party channels on the Roku platform—these authentication mechanisms are managed by each channel provider directly. They will be able to investigate and provide additional help for that type of issue. 

I'll follow up via private message to gather some additional details and help pass them along to the channel provider. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Just installed it on my Sharp Roku TV without an issue. When you entered the code, did you receive the request for the 2 part authentication? I had to request it to be sent to an alternate device, as the device it was sending the code to was powered down. Once I got the code on the alternate device, I was connected no problem. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Jaquith
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

RE Sharp TV .. Really? Sorry but it's a Roku issue. My Apple TV works great on my Apple TV. BTW I have several Roku Ultra's .. SAME problem on them all.

Yes I've tried to restart my Roku, yes I've even reinstalled the Apple TV App, yes I've even used the Apple TV's App internal Reset. The problem is I input my login information correctly and then it just spins that wheel and does nothing. My thought is the problem is the Authentication tunnel between Roku and Apple. Regarding trying the Web method, it fails to provide a Code. 

It's broken .. it's something Apple and Roku engineers need to correct. 

RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Jaquith 

I apologize for the experience you're running into.

However, I'm also not able to reproduce this issue on a Roku Ultra device. Does your account use 2-factor authentication? What did Apple Support say when you contacted them regarding the issue within their channel?

Each channel on the Roku platform is built and maintained by the channel provider themselves. If there is an issue, they will need to investigate further to help resolve it within their channel. 

I sent you a private message requesting additional details. Please feel free to follow up accordingly so I can help pass your feedback along to the channel provider. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Jaquith wrote:

RE Sharp TV .. Really? Sorry but it's a Roku issue. My Apple TV works great on my Apple TV. BTW I have several Roku Ultra's .. SAME problem on them all.

Yes, a Sharp Roku TV. Had no issues. I also just authenticated my Roku Ultra 4640. I made a mistake the first time, and had to do it a second time. But the second time worked fine. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Jaquith
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@RokuTannerD wrote:

@Jaquith 

I apologize for the experience you're running into.

However, I'm also not able to reproduce this issue on a Roku Ultra device. Does your account use 2-factor authentication? What did Apple Support say when you contacted them regarding the issue within their channel?

Each channel on the Roku platform is built and maintained by the channel provider themselves. If there is an issue, they will need to investigate further to help resolve it within their channel. 

I sent you a private message requesting additional details. Please feel free to follow up accordingly so I can help pass your feedback along to the channel provider. 

Thanks,

Tanner

I replied to your Private Message. I have not yet contacted Apple directly. We have 2-factor authentication but have not had any notifications regarding "Apple TV .. Roku" as of yet.

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Have you tried changing/updating your 2-factor authentication settings in your account to see if this resolves the issue? 

I really recommend contacting Apple for more direct help. It sounds like the issue may be account-related, and is somehow causing your authentication to fail. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos