Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bossland9
Level 7

Apple TV app audio question/issue

1. Does ATV app have DD+? When I watch a 5.1 (non Atmos) movie I’m only seeing DD. If I watch the same movie on Vudu I see DD+. 

2. Does anyone experience this issue below? My setup is Ultra 2020 (audio passthrough) into Denon x1600h into LG CX. It’s only with the Roku Apple TV app. When I’m watching 5.1 content (not Atmos) and I pause or resume the movie I get a 1-2 sec audio delay. To be clear it’s not a sync issue, just a delay. When I pause, the video stops but audio continues for a sec and when I unpause, the audio is delayed a sec while video is playing.

My Denon info screen is changing when I pause, and the input signal speaker icons don’t seem to be 5.1 anymore until I resume (see photos). So I’m guessing the delay is the AVR changing back and forth. But why is this only happening on the Apple TV app, is it by design? It doesn’t happen if the content is stereo or atmos. Any ideas?

Paused: https://ibb.co/kqYkgVc

Unpaused: https://ibb.co/gz6Y5ST

0 Kudos
4 Replies
bossland9
Level 7

Re: Apple TV app audio question/issue

Anyone have any thoughts?

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

1) As you discovered, the ATV app uses DD+ for Atmos, and DD for 5.1

2) Sometimes yes, though I also experience the reverse on other apps (audio plays, followed several seconds later by the video).

I meant to check this on my 4670 and 381Xs, and will update here/avsforums if/when I can..

0 Kudos
bossland9
Level 7

Thanks. Yea it seems it’s just how the titles are in iTunes/Apple. I found a select few movies that are not atmos but do list and play in DD+ 5.1, so they exist, I’m just surprised Apple doesn’t apply DD+ to all movies like Vudu or others do. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

@bossland9 wrote:

Thanks. Yea it seems it’s just how the titles are in iTunes/Apple. I found a select few movies that are not atmos but do list and play in DD+ 5.1, so they exist, I’m just surprised Apple doesn’t apply DD+ to all movies like Vudu or others do. 

Or at least play DD+5.1 when DD+ system support is detected/configured, and DD5.1 when just DD is detected/configured.

The upside with mostly/only DD content, is that it is more efficient (# streams-wise, not bandwidth-wise, relative to coverage) and more compatible with TVs/AVRs/etc - it covers legacy and and current systems, including passthrough devices/devices lacking Dolby DD+ (and higher) decoders.

0 Kudos