Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Jdcliff
Level 7

Apple TV Plus incompatibility on Roku TCL

I know that my TCL Roku TV isn’t compatible with the new Apple TV + app. Apparently it’s model # 6000x and the Apple TV plus app will only work with 7000x models and above.

My two questions:

1. Why? Is there some specific reason my TCL RokuTV isn’t a good fit, but my old Roku2 stand alone device is?

2. What other streaming apps aren’t compatible?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Apple TV Plus incompatibility on Roku TCL

Hi there, 

Thanks for the note. Each channel provider can determine which Roku devices their channel (app) will support. In general, if you search the channel on your Roku device in Streaming Channels, and it doesn't appear, it may not be supported. 

You'll need to contact any specific channel provider directly to inquire further about availability/compatibility on your Roku device, and share your feedback or requests. You can reach Apple support here: https://www.apple.com/contact/

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
exit2lef
Level 7

I have a similar problem with a three-year-old Sharp Roku TV that is apparently incompatible with Apple TV+. Apple support pages and user forums refer people back to Roku for the answer, so searching for a solution has been a circular journey. It seems like neither company is willing or able to explain what aspect of Apple TV+ requires more recent hardware than Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and countless other streaming services.

Jdcliff
Level 7

I'm completely with you exit2lef. I've been given the run around from both Apple and Roku about why my 2-year-old TCL RokuTV isn't compatible with a major app like AppleTV Plus, yet works with every other app out there. 

Do we even know if there are other apps that don't work? Is it a singular Apple TV Plus thing? 

I'd love some more information on this issue...