Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: Apple TV+ on Roku 4

Jump to solution

The Roku 4 USED to be the top of the line. It's nearly 5 years old now (released October 2015). The Ultra is the current equivalent. The Roku 4 also used a different chipset than other Roku's, and is probably the primary reason some newer channels are not available for it. Probably limitations in the SDK (Software Development Kit) for that chipset, or developers just not wanting to do extra work for one oddball device.

0 Kudos
wildsprite
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Eman22 wrote:
Since the Roku4 is the top of the line device, The only thing it can be is that it was Roku’s decision to not include Apple TV on Roku4 in order to move other Roku product inventory.  Let’s face it, we all bought the Roku4 for a reason, it was their top of the line. Now in order to watch Apple TV, I have to replace my Roku 4 with a lesser model.  Not going to happen.  If I have to purchase another device in order to watch Apple TV,  I would rather buy an Apple TV (box) and use It on HDMI-2 than buy another Roku product.

Roku didn't make this decision, Apple did. Think about this for a moment. Apple TV while nice isn't all that, so why would Roku have every other channel on the Roku 4 still if they were the ones that decided this? my guess as I stated in an earlier reply, is because the 4 is a unique device(meaning there are no others that have the size/shape or similar specs in the entire roku line) Apple decided not to bother with it. 

or perhaps this.

@andyross wrote:

Probably limitations in the SDK (Software Development Kit) for that chipset, or developers just not wanting to do extra work for one oddball device.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

And remember also that the Roku 4 is their only 4K player without HDR support. I'm sure they (Apple) didn't want to bother, because they would be fielding calls about HDR being missing. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
tylerpie
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

What I don't understand is why the supported Roku models all end in "X" on the compatibility matrix. For example, 3810X is listed as supporting Apple TV. However, everywhere I go to buy one (including on the Roku store), all the models end in "R," as in 3810R. If I need the X version(s), where can I get it. Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@tylerpie wrote:

What I don't understand is why the supported Roku models all end in "X" on the compatibility matrix. For example, 3810X is listed as supporting Apple TV. However, everywhere I go to buy one (including on the Roku store), all the models end in "R," as in 3810R. If I need the X version(s), where can I get it. Thanks for any help.

The suffix is meaningless. R stands for Retail, RW is Walmart, and I believe X is a direct purchase from Roku. But then my Sharp TV that I bought from Best Buy is a 7201X, so maybe I haven't a clue what the X means. 😄

But I do know that there's zero hardware difference between a X, R or any other version, other than perhaps the dedicated channel buttons on the remote. 

Dan

0 Kudos
tylerpie
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

The suffix is meaningless. R stands for Retail, RW is Walmart, and I believe X is a direct purchase from Roku. But then my Sharp TV that I bought from Best Buy is a 7201X, so maybe I haven't a clue what the X means. 😄

But I do know that there's zero hardware difference between a X, R or any other version, other than perhaps the dedicated channel buttons on the remote. 

That is good to know--and it's kind of what I thought. But even the direct purchase from the Roku web store have the R. I couldn't find the X's anywhere online--and I looked everywhere.

0 Kudos
Anorak7839

Is the latest Streaming Stick compatible with AppleTV+?

Jump to solution

Hi,

Having purchased a new iPad, I receive a one-year free subscription to AppleTV+. However, it seems my current Roku stick (2016 model) is too old to host the app.

If I upgrade to the latest streaming stick, will I be able to download the App and does it matter how old my telly is? It's a 32" Samsung LCD, at least 12 years old.

It surprises me that channels/apps can't be made backwards-compatible for older devices, to be honest. Surely, the ultimate requirement is that they app hosts an MPEG-4 file of sufficient quality?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice offered.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Re: Is the latest Streaming Stick compatible with AppleTV+?

Jump to solution

@Anorak7839 wrote:

Hi,

Having purchased a new iPad, I receive a one-year free subscription to AppleTV+. However, it seems my current Roku stick (2016 model) is too old to host the app.

If I upgrade to the latest streaming stick, will I be able to download the App and does it matter how old my telly is? It's a 32" Samsung LCD, at least 12 years old.

It surprises me that channels/apps can't be made backwards-compatible for older devices, to be honest. Surely, the ultimate requirement is that they app hosts an MPEG-4 file of sufficient quality?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice offered.

Roku models supported by Apple TV (check your Roku model number via Settings > System > About) 
List current as of September 22, 2020 - See Source link below for any updates

Roku onn™ Smart Soundbar 9100X
Roku Express 3900X, 3930X
Roku Express+ 3910X, 3931X
Roku HD 3932X
Roku Streaming Stick 3600X, 3800X
Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810X, 3811X
Roku Premiere 3920X, 4620X
Roku Premiere+ 3921X, 4630X
Roku Ultra 4640X, 4660X, 4661X, 4670X
Roku Ultra LT 4662X
Roku 2 4210X, 4205X
Roku 3 4200X, 4230X
Roku 4K TV A000X
Roku TV 7000X, C000X, 8000X
Roku Smart Soundbar 9101X

Source: https://www.apple.com/apple-tv-app/devices/

Television age:
Should not matter as long as it has an available HDMI port.

Backward compatibility:
Keep in mind that the channel apps are created and maintained by the channels themselves.  Roku just provides the platform on which to run them.  As new Roku units are brought out, existing channel apps are updated by their owners to remain compatible, although sometimes it takes them a while to get it right.  Just as with computer operating systems, at some point, keeping channel apps compatible with older versions becomes too much of a burden and support for legacy equipment typically gets dropped -- Hulu, for instance, just went through this in the last several months.   As newer channels come along, seldom does the channel producer bother to include support for any but the last generation or two of equipment.

Apple TV+ compatibility with latest Roku models:
The Apple TV app will install and run on the models listed above, which includes all current models.  My concern in this regard, though, is whether you will be able to link it to your existing subscription.  Subscriptions taken out directly with the channel on the channel's webpage can typically be used on any supported device.  Subscriptions taken out via a specific device are often available to use only on that device.   I don't know which of these situations applies to your a subscription included with an iPad purchase.  My guess would be it's good only on the iPad, or maybe just on Apple equipment, but I don't really know.  Somebody who knows may come along to clarify, but if I were you I'd contact Apple with that question.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
kutty
Channel Surfer

how can i get Apple tv+ on my roku?

Jump to solution

i can't get Apple tv+ on my roku app?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Re: how can i get Apple tv+ on my roku?

Jump to solution

What model Roku do you have? It isn't available on older devices. 

Dan

0 Kudos