Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jgkoss
Channel Surfer

Re: Why doesn’t my Roku Streaming Stick (purple) support Apple TV?

Jump to solution

The 3600X streaming stick, a generation newer than the purple streaming stick, was extremely popular and is only 3 years old. The newest Roku 2 is 4 years old, has the same amount of memory as the 3600X, the processor runs at the same 900 Mhz as the 3600X but there is no supports Apple TV, how can this be? It's ridiculous that hardware that is only 3 years old won't support the app!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@jgkoss wrote:

The 3600X streaming stick, a generation newer than the purple streaming stick, was extremely popular and is only 3 years old. The newest Roku 2 is 4 years old, has the same amount of memory as the 3600X, the processor runs at the same 900 Mhz as the 3600X but there is no supports Apple TV, how can this be? It's ridiculous that hardware that is only 3 years old won't support the app!

Well, 3 1/2 years :).

But you'd have to ask Disney why it's unsupported. Roku has no control over what channels are available on which devices. It's completely under the control of the channel developers, in this case Disney. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

This page:

http://tclusa.helpjuice.com/apple-tv-tcl-roku-tv

Claims my 3-series Roku TV will support Apple TV, but in fact it doesn't show up there. Someone from Roku should inform TCL that their info is incorrect, and to remove it from their webpage. As a user, this isn't my responsibility.

The Roku Apple TV+ FAQ has the most correct list of currently supported Apple TV+ compatible Roku products. The link j posted from TCL is all wrong.

Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
jeffrok
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Also,

As much as I hate the "Apple way",  I do agree with one aspect of their thinking.. if an app doesn't work on a certain vintage of hardware to Apple's liking, meaning if it crashes or stutters even a little, Apple will not allow the app to considered compatible with that hardware. I get it. Apple is a very visually appealing company, and doesn't want their reputation tarnished by making new stuff run slowly on old hardware. I can respect that.

Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for noting that @jeffrok 

I've followed up with our Roku TV partner to request they update their support article accordingly. 

Cheers,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Jagonz2
Channel Surfer

Re: Apple TV+ Not Available on All Roku Device Models?

Jump to solution

This is mind boggling...I just got all excited to subscribe to Apple TV just to discover it’s not supported on the 4. At the time I bought the 4 it was the best roku available, and looking at all the other roku devices supported, It’s hard to wrap my head around this.  
I guess it’s time to buy an apple streaming device and ditch the roku. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Apple TV+ Not Available on All Roku Device Models?

Jump to solution

@Jagonz2 wrote:

This is mind boggling...I just got all excited to subscribe to Apple TV just to discover it’s not supported on the 4. At the time I bought the 4 it was the best roku available, and looking at all the other roku devices supported, It’s hard to wrap my head around this.  
I guess it’s time to buy an apple streaming device and ditch the roku. 

You can't place the blame on Roku for ATV+ not being available on the 4. That is a decision that was made by Apple, and only they can alter that decision. I'm not knocking the Apple TV device, but it's far more expensive than the highest Roku, and offers very little that isn't available on a Roku player. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
QUINTISON
Streaming Star

Apple tv app problems

Jump to solution

While I have Apple tv it's only on 1 tv and roku has the Apple tv app but NOT everything is going well on the app while the real Apple tv has all of my tv shows and movies I have to go to the watch now to get my tv shows because only 1 shows up where it should be in the library.

Also limitation of the roku or app either way you don't get the same thing from Apple tv with the same pre movie splash screen and extras so if you have any studio ghibli titles and want to play the movie with Japanese language you can't.

Seems like a early rushed out and slightly broken app it's not even available on the ROKU 4 which is sad.

0 Kudos

Apple TV app on Roku TV 6114x

Jump to solution

I have all Apple devices and obviously subscriptions go with that. I have the Apple TV+ app on both my iPhone and iPad. I do not have an Apple TV box because I prefer Chromecast and Roku. I was pleased to hear that Apple decided to make Apple TV app available for Roku. 

I decided to check the store on my Roku stick in my bedroom and Apple TV was available for download. Now when I went to go add the channel to my Roku 4K TV (6114X), it was no where to be found. Turns out that the Apple TV app is not available for that device and I am curious as to why not. It’s only available for the Roku TV units 7000 and above. It just boggles my mind that a $39.99 Roku stick is compatible, but my $575.00 Roku 4K TV is not. 

Can anyone tell me if maybe they will support the 6114X in the future, if not, explain what the difference between the 6114X and the 7000 is. Was this a decision by Roku or Apple?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Apple TV app on Roku TV 6114x

Jump to solution

@XzavierOmyda 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Channel providers may choose to add additional support for more devices, so please feel free to follow up with the channel provider (Apple) directly to share your interest and inquire further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos