Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Apple TV+ on Roku 4

Jump to solution

@chalabrooks wrote:
I totally agree. This makes no sense to me why the older devices and certain others besides the Roku 4, your new TV, and some others didn't get the Apple TV+ app. I'm a little pissed for no clarification from Roku or Apple why this is happening. I went to both websites for an answer.🤔 Nothing so far.

You also brought up another good point. Will the Disney+ app not work for us either? I saw something about the Roku 2 not being compatible with YouTube TV but it is with Apple TV+. That's weird. My Roku 4 does have YouTube TV. Now let's see what Disney+ does.

No way Roku can offer an explanation. It's completely under the control of Apple which device will be supported. Yeah, some real strange choices, such as the Roku 4 not allowed. 

Have to wait and see what Disney permits. The channel isn't even available yet in the Roku channel store, so we just have to wait and see. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
DougG
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

That is a bit of a BS response that is absolving Roku of any responsibility here.   Roku has an absolute responsibility to its customers to ensure that the devices they are selling function as they are intended.   Roku should  demand from its app developers that they must follow a minimum standard.   I understand that things go obsolete after time.  But 1 year old items should not be obsolete.   If this is Roku's plan, then that is pretty pathetic and it may be time to start looking for other platforms.   

atc98092

Jump to solution

@DougG wrote:

That is a bit of a BS response that is absolving Roku of any responsibility here.   Roku has an absolute responsibility to its customers to ensure that the devices they are selling function as they are intended.   Roku should  demand from its app developers that they must follow a minimum standard.   I understand that things go obsolete after time.  But 1 year old items should not be obsolete.   If this is Roku's plan, then that is pretty pathetic and it may be time to start looking for other platforms.   

Not sure which device you are referring to, but the Roku 4 is not a one year old device. It was released in Oct 2015. 

And they can't demand channel developers to support all past models. Roku devices do function as intended, as long as they (Roku) don't break something in a software release. Yeah, they've done that before, but other technology companies have as well. I'm not absolving them from pushing software releases with issue, though. Roku advises their channel developers of upcoming changes that might require updating their channels, but it's up to the channel developers to ensure they channels work with the update. Roku can't force them to fix problems, although I'm sure they try their best to encourage them to do so.

For a brand new channel like Apple TV, it's completely within Apple's control how and where they will support their channel. Roku really has no power to tell them to support the all. All they really could do is to deny certifying the channel, in which case Apple would most likely say fine and drop Roku completely.

Dan

wildsprite
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@DougG wrote:

which device are you referring to? no other device released in the years after have been called with a numbering scheme, if they had we would have seen 3 different Roku 5 models(not sure what they would have called the Roku Express) in 2016 then a Roku 6 in 2017 a re released Roku 6 in 2018 and Roku 7 in 2019. though they could have just kept the Roku 5 name for the Ultra model devices but who knows. I guess my point is there are no Roku 4 devices that are just 1 year old like @atc98092 pointed out

@atc98092 wrote:

Not sure which device you are referring to, but the Roku 4 is not a one year old device. It was released in Oct 2015. 

And they can't demand channel developers to support all past models. Roku devices do function as intended, as long as they (Roku) don't break something in a software release. Yeah, they've done that before, but other technology companies have as well. I'm not absolving them from pushing software releases with issue, though. Roku advises their channel developers of upcoming changes that might require updating their channels, but it's up to the channel developers to ensure they channels work with the update. Roku can't force them to fix problems, although I'm sure they try their best to encourage them to do so.

For a brand new channel like Apple TV, it's completely within Apple's control how and where they will support their channel. Roku really has no power to tell them to support the all. All they really could do is to deny certifying the channel, in which case Apple would most likely say fine and drop Roku completely.

I think the complaint here is that Apple TV supports Roku 2 and 3 and it also supports the much less powerful Roku Express released the very next year(2016), but not the Roku 4 that was released in 2015.

I can tell you that the Roku 4 is unique in that there are no other models that have the same shape/size or CPU/GPU combo. That could be the reason why it isn't supported by Apple. We won't know unless Apple chooses to come forth and tell us. 

DougG
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I have seen 4's still on sale as new items.   There are still plenty of RokuTV v6XXX models still for sale as new items.    If these devices do not adhere to a certain standard, they should not be still available as new devices from major retailers.  

I am by no means saying that all roku's should be supported for ever, but a reasonable amount of time before obsolescence should be required.   

wildsprite
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@DougG wrote:

I have seen 4's still on sale as new items.   There are still plenty of RokuTV v6XXX models still for sale as new items.    If these devices do not adhere to a certain standard, they should not be still available as new devices from major retailers.  

Roku themselves said it is up to the channel creators to support or not support devices. Roku only has their own channel, a channel to show 4k content, a media player, a tutorial channel and a couple obsoleted channels, 1 for news and another that was for providers that paid them for a spot. Roku does no other content creation other than themes and screen savers. 

Also before you try to hold Roku accountable it is within their terms of service for both their channel creators/content providers and their users that content is subject to the change and the channel providers are responsible for their own content as well as what devices they provide it to. so unless we hear from Apple we may never know why they choose not to support the Roku 4. 

Note: Roku does require minimum standards for content creators. Their content must adhere to copyright and it must also go through testing for each device before it can support said device. Roku is not responsible for providing you anything. They provide the platform. The channel providers are responsible for the content. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@DougG wrote:

No idea where such devices are coming from, but just because some site is calling the new doesn't make them a new product. Never before sold, most likely. But they might be refurbished and the sellers aren't being truthful.  If they aren't shown on the Roku web site, then they aren't "new" players. Yes, you can still find older models for sale on Amazon and other sites as new (unsold) products, but they've been sitting in a warehouse somewhere for who knows how long, and for what reason. Roku TVs that are model 6xxx were also released in 2015. Perhaps there's some hardware differences in those older sets (and the Roku 4) that have an issue with the Apple TV channel. I bought my Sharp Roku TV in October 2017 and it's a 72xx series. 

Dan

0 Kudos
jellomende

Jump to solution

Will my roku tv get the  tv app? I have a Roku tv 5110x

If not will my TV get AirPlay 2 support. Id love to watch  tv on my actual tv and not on my phone 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@jellomende wrote:

If not will my TV get AirPlay 2 support. Id love to watch  tv on my actual tv and not on my phone 

It's up to Apple which Roku devices are allowed the Apple TV app. If your model isn't on the supported list, you'll have to ask Apple.

There have been rumors about Roku getting AirPlay 2 support. But so far, that's all it is. There's nothing firm yet that Roku has announced. 

Dan

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

If your Roku TV doesn't get/qualify for the App(s), you can always buy an external Roku streamer (latest generation preferred to avoid obsolescence as long as possible) - that's what you'd want to do with any TV (smart or dumb) with/without outdated/available apps to extend its usability/value.

@jellomende wrote:

0 Kudos