Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Apple TV App Not Working Since 12/13/19

Jump to solution

Update: According to Apple Support, their engineers intentionally disabled output thru the A/V port to make it harder to illegally copy Apple TV+ content. Anyone purchasing a Roku Express+ (2018 version) should know that Apple TV+ does not work if they intend to use the A/V port.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Wow...well, that takes me right back to why Roku should have or could have known that before Apple rolled out this latest update.  Perhaps, they could have left the prior app version as the "latest" since I'm assuming most of us paid extra for this particular Roku because it came with an A/V connection option. 

I'm fortunate that I have a few other options in the house, but that's bad news for those that don't and who may have only wanted to access AppleTV through their Roku A/V output.  Geez.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I can attest that it is likely an HDMI cable issue. My Roku Express only had an HDMI output - no A/V output. I used the enclosed HDMI cable from Roku and received the same issues. Like others, I restarted, uninstalled, reloaded, etc, etc. Nothing worked. 

I found this thread and changed my HDMI cable to one I had been using with another device. I went through all of the reinstalling and restarting again, to no avail. 

I finally said that I would use a brand new, gold plated HDMI cable. Success! At least for now... I am able to watch shows that I could not watch on this device before. 

So try using a high end HDMI cable and see what happens. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Hello Sir,

I hope this email finds you and your family well.  I actually didn't have problems with an HDMI connection or the cables.  The challenge I was experiencing was that I purchased the Roku Express+ so that I could connect it with the included AV cables, not HDMI. 

I didn't have problems with the AV connections until the AppleTV app recently updated it's software so that the app could no longer be used with an AV connection, forcing users to use an HDMI cable to access the app, which defeated the purpose of me buying this particular Roku Express+ version.

I opted for this Roku so that I wouldn't have to manually keep switching cables because I only have one HDMI port which is already in use for my cable box.  But you're right, the Roku and the AppleTV app works fine with for me with an HDMI connection...it's just not the connection I intended to use.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have a Roku3. Apple TV + app will not play the videos. It might start and 5-secs into starting suddenly says video unavailable. I have managed to get a show to play but it’s Russian roulette when it will be successful. I’ve been half way through a show and it stops and says video unavailable. I’ve executed all trouble-shooting by Roku, changed HDMI cables. Sill doesn’t work without issue if at all. Called Apple and they quickly defer it to a Roku issue. Frustrated.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Sucks for me I bought the express plus because all I have is the old rca ports on the older tv. No hdmi port on my tv. Guess I will have to wait on the apple nerd herd.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I hear you.  My plans for using this particular Roku are now changed as well.  Fortunately, I didn't find a lot of stuff that I wanted to watch on AppleTV yet, so having the tv connected via AV cables to use all the other apps isn't so bad as long as I don't choose to watch AppleTV which requires the HDMI connection.  When I do use AppleTV, I have to manually change the connections or watch it on my iPad.  I'm moving to a larger space in a few weeks, so I needed to get another TV and I made sure it had access to AppleTV, Disney+, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc, so I wouldn't need to buy another device for streaming.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I’m in a similar boat. I purchased a new Roku Express 3930r so I could watch Disney+ and Apple TV+, both of which my older Roku model didn’t support. I got it set up a couple weeks ago without any difficulty. My parents then decided they, too, wanted Apple TV+, so they upgraded to the Roku Express 3930r, too, on my recommendation. They arrived this week, and when I tried setting them up yesterday, I kept getting the “Verification Failed” error on the Apple TV+ app. On both devices, on two different TVs.

Things we’ve tried (that have all failed to result in anything different):

• Resetting Apple TV+ app (multiple times, sometimes with rebooting the Roku between sign-in attempts)
  • Deleting the Apple TV+ app, rebooting the Roku, and reinstalling the Apple TV+ app (multiple times)
  • Checking for Roku software updates (we’re up to date on the latest build)
  • Changing the power cable
  • Changing the HDMI cable
  • Changing the HDMI port on the TV
  • Changing the TV the Roku is plugged into
  • Changing WiFi networks (once to WiFi from my phone’s LTE connection, and another time to a different house, with an entirely different WiFi and internet connection and TV)
  • Trying to turn Location Services on in the Apple TV+ app (it immediately switches back to “off”)

I’m able to stream on my Roku that was already logged in with Apple TV+, but even when plugged into my TV and on my internet connection, I can’t get my parents’ two new identical Rokus to initiate the handshake with Apple to log in. The “Log in With Device” and “Create a New Apple ID” options both immediately spit back the “Verification Failed” error screen, and the “Log in on This Roku” option just spins and spins after I put in my Apple ID and password. It’s insane. 

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

This is ludicrous. It works on one of my TV's, yet freezes frequently, but it's hit or miss on another (newer) TV. I specifically bought the Roku Express for this app. I've tried all of the tricks and nothing is working. It just tells me the video is "not available."

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Just to be clear, if you have a Roku Express+ (2018 version) and you have it connected to your TV using the A/V port, you will not be able to play any content on Apple TV+. According to Apple, they did this to reduce piracy. With the latest build of Apple TV+, if you try to play content with this setup you will get an error message that says "Video Unavailable... Please try again later". Obviously, this is not a helpful error message, and is likely to confuse or frustrate anyone who encounters it. However, if you have a Roku Express+ (2018 version) connected to your TV using the HDMI port, Apple TV+ should work. I verified this a few moments ago.

0 Kudos