Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Apple TV App Not Working Since 12/13/19

Jump to solution

The Apple TV app worked for my Roku Express+ up through my attempt to use it on 12/13/19.  Looking at the app details, it looks like version 2.0.49 may have been released just a few days before on 12/11/19.  I can select the app, the screen shows the logo for a few seconds, then goes black, then goes back to the home screen.  The last time I was able to use the app was around 12/8.  I have performed a reset. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app.  I have looked for other posts with the problem and nothing.  Anybody have any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Apple TV App Not Working Since 12/13/19

Jump to solution

HumorMike,

I have the same problem: Apple+ no longer works with a Roku Express+. I tried resetting the box and reinstalling the channel. I even tried a factory reset. Nothing works. However, I discovered this: it’s related to the A/V port. I connected the Express+ to a newer TV using HDMI instead and it worked fine. It looks like Roku Support isn’t interested in app specific issues so, as the moderator suggested, I’m going to follow up with Apple to see if they’re going to fix this.

View solution in original post

27 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@HumorMike 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please make sure that after you remove the channel, you restart your device before reinstalling the channel.

If the issue remains unresolved, I'd recommend reaching out to the channel provider directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform is developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. 

You can reach them here: https://support.apple.com/contact

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

HumorMike,

I have the same problem: Apple+ no longer works with a Roku Express+. I tried resetting the box and reinstalling the channel. I even tried a factory reset. Nothing works. However, I discovered this: it’s related to the A/V port. I connected the Express+ to a newer TV using HDMI instead and it worked fine. It looks like Roku Support isn’t interested in app specific issues so, as the moderator suggested, I’m going to follow up with Apple to see if they’re going to fix this.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I don't want to fan out right now, but guess what?!?!?! I switched the connection from the A/V port to the HDMI cable and mine began to work too.  When I switched it back to A/V, it went back to not working again.  I have no idea how you figured this out. I would have never thought the wire connection would have impacted the way an app on the Roku performed, but you are absolutely right.  An app that worked fine last week now no longer works based on the way it's connected to the TV. 

I'm not sure if this is a Roku issue or an Apple issue, but Roku support could at least acknowledge and recommend this fix in the meantime in addition to simply passing us off to Apple.  I was thinking about buying a Fire Stick or an Apple TV unit so that I would have a way to watch Apple TV.  Because of you (not Roku support or the time I used searching for a fix) I now don't have to do that.  I'll just be switching over to HDMI with the AppleTV app until further notice.

Thank you again!!!!!!!     

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

HumorMike,

Thanks for confirming this. I am also surprised that an app knows or cares about the type of output being used. I agree that Roku needs to be aware of this issue so that they can advise their customers. Also, they should be working with Apple right now on a fix. I bought a Roku Express+ specifically so that I could connect it to an older TV via an A/V port. Would anyone at Roku care to comment?

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I just got off the phone with Apple Support. They are referring the issue to their engineering dept. If I get any new information from them I will post it here.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I am in the same boat. My TV only has one working HDMI port, which I use for my cable box, so I, too, intentionally bought the Roku Express+ because I could use the A/V connections without having to manually keep switching the cable depending on whether I wanted to watch cable or the Roku. Thanks for your help with this and for reaching out to Apple.  I hope they come up with a fix soon.  Side note, I tested starting the Apple TV app on the Roku using the HDMI cable, and then switching to the A/V cables once the show started. It immediately closed the app and took me back to the home screen.  That app is pretty smart.  LOL.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks again. We absolutely appreciate your service. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Update: I just spoke to Apple Support again. They told me that Apple’s engineers are currently investigating the problem. I do not know if or when there will be a fix for it. I would hope that Roku is aware of the problem at this point. Would anyone from Roku care to comment?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Good to know. Roku appears to have left us on our own with this one with their troubleshooting recommendations to perform resets and to do other steps when it’s the actual A/V connection that is causing the problem with the current version of the  AppleTV app. Again, I appreciate you for taking more interest, providing more updates, and providing a resolution that works even though the Roku staff seems to have easily washed their hands of this. Absolutely disappointing on their part, but I’m appreciative of your efforts here. Thanks to you, other people in our situation may find the current fix to their issue. 

0 Kudos