Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Drewman
Level 7

Anyone else being forced to install Newsy this weekend?

All weekend long (5/8-9/2021), without clicking on anything from the Home Screen, the Newsy app is auto-installing (6 times now!). I don't want Newsy. Is this now a mandatory install to Roku? WTH?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3\
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Anyone else being forced to install Newsy this weekend?

Go to https://my.roku.com/ and log in.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page. There you will find a listing of the Roku devices tied to your account. Is there more than one?

If so, might someone using one of those devices be installing Newsy?

Alternately, do you use a Roku screen saver such as City Scroll? If so, what keys do you use to exit the screen save? The PLAY button? The OK button? If so, be aware that the City Scroll and similar screen savers include ads for apps/services, and if those ads are on the screen, OK or PLAY will activate the ad, launching the app or, if it is not installed, installing the app.

Use the HOME button or the BACK button to exit the screen saver.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Drewman
Level 7

Nope. We are a two person household, and I'm the only one using them Roku. Had my Rokus for years, never, ever seen any behavior like this.

As a 21+ year experienced IT, it's an auto-install, not a manual override from another user (in another room) e.g. It's being 'pushed'.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

I added an additional bit to my original response. Your reply must have begun before I completed the edit. See the updated response and consider that.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos