Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AhmedE
Level 8

Any chance adding support for wmv files to Roku Media Player?

I have a vast collection of videos that I have collected from various sources over the years. I keep my collection formatted as Windows Media Video or wmv files. I have noticed that Roku Media Player only supports three video file formats, MKV, MP4, and MOV. To watch videos from my collection via Roku Media Player, I have to convert them to one of these three formats.

I really prefer to watch the videos as they are in the format they are in. Any chance of adding support for wmv to Roku Media Player?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Any chance adding support for wmv files to Roku Media Player?

They used to support WMV, but it was removed for some reason.  I would say there's zero chance that support will come back.  Roku has shown little to no interest in supporting local media playback - it just doesn't make them any money.  It's become clear that their main focus is on advertising revenue and striking deals with providers to get a piece of the subscription pie or carriage fees.  I'm guessing the money they can make by selling devices just doesn't compare, so don't expect it to change.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
StreamerUser

@renojim wrote:

They used to support WMV, but it was removed for some reason.  I would say there's zero chance that support will come back.  Roku has shown little to no interest in supporting local media playback - it just doesn't make them any money.  It's become clear that their main focus is on advertising revenue and striking deals with providers to get a piece of the subscription pie or carriage fees.  I'm guessing the money they can make by selling devices just doesn't compare, so don't expect it to change.

It may come back (along with significant improvements to local media playback) if they find ways to directly monetize it (e.g. tracking and selling information about content being played, or pre-/mid-/post-roll ad inserting).

But apart from directly monetizing it, local media playback clearly is (and will remain) mostly a "marketing checkbox" afterthought.

StreamerUser

0 Kudos
atc98092

There is a fourth supported file type: TS/M2TS. For some reason Roku doesn't include it in their documentation. But as already mentioned, the odds of WMV support returning is likely extremely low. 

Also remember:  WMV, MKV, MP4, etc. are just containers. While the container must be supported, equally important are the codecs used within the container. Some containers only support one or two codecs, while MKV can hold almost anything. So you can't always be sure a file will play based on the container. 

Using a DLNA server to transcode unsupported media in general does not impact the video or audio quality of the media. Naturally, it will cause a loss of audio quality if the original audio is one of the lossless codecs and must be transcoded to standard Dolby Digital. But unless someone is using a quality 5.1 (or more) home audio system it's likely not going to be noticeable. With some video, you might find the container is unsupported but the codecs within are compatible with Roku, so the only thing the DLNA server has to do is what's called transmuxing. It doesn't alter the audio or video at all, just sends it to the Roku in a supported container (which in most cases is either a TS or MOV container).

Dan

0 Kudos