Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bvd1022
Level 8

Any Update On If The Facebook Watch App Will Be Available On Roku?

Hi,

I was wondering if there is anyone who can give an update on whether the Facebook Watch app will be available on Roku at some point in the future. I have been trying to get a request in to Facebook for it because I would prefer having access via Roku as it is my primary streaming device rather than having to switch between devices on a regular basis when I have to cover a Boxing card that is only being streamed on Facebook. It would save me some time and seeing as I have begun a gradual process of upgrading my televisions to Roku TV's it would solve a problem for me as I tend to get word of these cards being streamed via Facebook on short notice.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: Any Update On If The Facebook Watch App Will Be Available On Roku?

Not sure if it's available on an Amazon Fire Stick, but that's why I have a Room TV with a Fire stick plugged into it.. for $30 extra you have the best of both worlds.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"bvd1022" wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering if there is anyone who can give an update on whether the Facebook Watch app will be available on Roku at some point in the future. I have been trying to get a request in to Facebook for it because I would prefer having access via Roku as it is my primary streaming device rather than having to switch between devices on a regular basis when I have to cover a Boxing card that is only being streamed on Facebook. It would save me some time and seeing as I have begun a gradual process of upgrading my televisions to Roku TV's it would solve a problem for me as I tend to get word of these cards being streamed via Facebook on short notice.

Thanks.

If Facebook builds an app. Roku doesn't build all the apps. Just like Apple doesn't build all the Apple TV apps, Amazon doesn't build all the Amazon apps, and Google doesn't build all the Chromecast/Android TV apps. A third-party could build an app, but if Facebook doesn't like it, they'd have it removed. So, it's really up to Facebook to either build an app, contract someone to build one, or approve a third-party to build an app. And, unless they announce such a thing, you won't hear squat from Roku about it.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 8

"DBDukes" wrote:
"bvd1022" wrote:
Hi,

Thanks.

If Facebook builds an app. Roku doesn't build all the apps. Just like Apple doesn't build all the Apple TV apps, Amazon doesn't build all the Amazon apps, and Google doesn't build all the Chromecast/Android TV apps. A third-party could build an app, but if Facebook doesn't like it, they'd have it removed. So, it's really up to Facebook to either build an app, contract someone to build one, or approve a third-party to build an app. And, unless they announce such a thing, you won't hear squat from Roku about it.

I am aware of that, but what I was wondering is if someone here or at Roku knew of a way to get a request into Facebook for it or if anyone has heard anything about an app for Roku being released. For now, I go back and forth between Roku and Apple TV strictly for the few apps that Apple has that Roku does not and in my experience, their AirPlay/casting feature is a little smoother than Roku's though Roku's has improved over time.

Apple is what I consider to be a solid number two in terms of streaming platforms behind only Roku, but they only have about a third of the services I use and a select few that aren't available on Roku that I use, I would prefer if I could have access to what is missing from Roku so I didn't have to switch devices aa often. I'm physically disabled and  it can be a challenge for me at times to get down, unplug a device, then switch as needed. That's one reason why I am slowly upgrading to Roku TV's as it would basically solve that for me except in the occasional instance when I plug my ps4 in for a gaming night, etc. As far as that, I just recently got back into gaming after years of not having a working console, but because of my schedule I only play periodically and when it's not in use, I keep it unplugged. So, that is less of an issue for me as compared to having to switch devices regularly depending on what I'm covering, etc. 
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

Just buy the Fire Stick. You can do web browsing, and it will take care of your missing abilities of the Roku. My Roku TV is still my go-to, but I switch to the Fire stick when I need to do special "tricks"..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos