Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Amazon unwatched episodes displaying as watched

Previously when I would go to a TV series I'm in the middle of watching on Amazon Prime it would show exactly where I was - the current episode and what part of that episode. Now it's jumping forward and showing some of the episodes as having been watched even though they haven't. I then have to scroll back through each episode and try and remember where I'd got to. When I eventually find the episode it does show I'm in the middle of it. When viewing Amazon Prime online this doesn't happen so I'm guessing it's a Roku issue. Does anyone else have this issue?
9 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Amazon unwatched episodes displaying as watched

Since you asked... I'm in the middle of bingeing an old series on Amazon Prime via Roku (B*rn Notice -- amazing the B word isn't allowed in this forum!) and am not having this problem.

Have you tried removing Amazon Prime and reinstalling? Be sure to restart your Roku to make sure the old installation is completely gone before reinstalling. You'll probably have to reauthenticate with your Amazon credentials.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

I just checked on my Ultra 4670 and it took me to the last episode I watched of Doctor Who. They dropped it from Prime, so I just bought the DVD set and ripped it to my server. But Amazon seems to have remembered what TV episode I had watched. The only time I recall seeing something like that was several years ago. But even then it just took me back to the first season, first episode. And they fixed that a long time ago. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@TC100  I tested, and I also don't see this issue occurring. When you are viewing content on your Roku, do you hit the 'Home' button on your remote to exit playback of the channel before you press the power button to turn your TV off? If not, your device may continue to stream. Make sure you press the 'Home' button on your remote to exit playback in the Prime Video channel before you power your TV off. 

Keep us posted from there! 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Hi Tanner, Yes I do press the Home button when I'm finished - before turning off the TV. I'll try reinstalling to see if that helps. It's an old Roku so maybe it needs an update.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@TC100 wrote:

Hi Tanner, Yes I do press the Home button when I'm finished - before turning off the TV. I'll try reinstalling to see if that helps. It's an old Roku so maybe it needs an update.

Exactly how old? What is the model number (not name) of your Roku player? Depending on the model, it might be a legacy device that is no longer supported. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

It's probably around 6 years old. The model is 3500

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@TC100 wrote:

It's probably around 6 years old. The model is 3500

OK, the 3500 is the purple Stick. Yes, it is outdated but still semi-supported. I say only semi because you can't get a replacement remote for it any longer. The 3500 was released in March 2014, so you are tight that it's about 6 years old. You would likely be pleasantly surprised by how much better a new Roku would perform. But, I can't think of any reason it would not be saving your watched episodes in Prime. My only thought there is if Amazon has dropped updating that old of a player, so you aren't running the latest version of the channel. If yours doesn't work right and they aren't updating it any longer, that could be one reason. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

@RokuTannerD wrote:
When you are viewing content on your Roku, do you hit the 'Home' button on your remote to exit playback of the channel before you press the power button to turn your TV off? If not, your device may continue to stream.

Ha!  Didn't even think of that because I ALWAYS return to home screen when I'm finished watching.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Same issue here. Only thing I could think of is someone else watching "Mr Robot" in my account on another device (at a past AIRBNB for example) so I signed out of all devices. Issue still happening. 

2020 TCL 65" Class 5-Series 4K UHD Dolby VISION HDR Roku Smart TV - 65S525 with upgraded Voice remote (living room)

2019  TCL 50S425 50 inch 4K Smart LED Roku TV with upgraded Voice remote (bedroom)

Also on Android Samsung Galaxy S10+ (which i don't use to watch, but unwatched episodes are also indicated as watched here)

0 Kudos