Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon the only app not working properly?

I seem to be another one of those with an Express who is having problems with the Amazon prime video app. Before I bought the express I had an older Fire stick and it ran fine. Now, the Amazon app on the roku is very laggy, stops, buffers and warns the connection speed is too low regularly. With an 80mbps connection I know thats not the case, and the other 7 streaming apps all work fine (Now tv, netflix, bbc,itv,4,my5,UKTV) so it really is limited to the amazon app.

Is this just a common complaint for the express? I've had to put my fire stick back in the TV as its really annoying using the express with amazon.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Amazon the only app not working properly?

Thanks for letting us know what you're seeing. 

Try removing the Prime Video channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to and highlighting the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote, then choosing 'Remove channel'. Next, restart your device by going to Settings>System>System restart>Restart and reboot your device. Once it loads up again, go to 'Streaming channels' and add the Prime Video channel back once more. 

If that still isn't helping resolve the issue, we'd recommend following up directly with the channel provider to report the behavior you are seeing and request additional assistance. 

Keep us posted! 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos

That didn't make any difference, the pausing still happens. Amazon say its the Roku, and you say its Amazon!

The other apps work fine it seems, so I'll just have to persist with the fire stick for now.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the confirmation. This is something we've heard from our customers and are currently investigating. If the buffering/network issue isn't occurring on other channels on your device, this usually indicates there may be an issue within the channel's own services that could be impacting communication or delivery of content to your device. I have provided your feedback along to our team to follow up with the channel publisher. 

Most channels are built and maintained by the channel provider themselves, including all content delivery and programming. If there is a potential issue within their systems that deliver content to your device, you may see an issue in that one specific channel (app) that is not present in other channels (apps) on your device. 

Please feel free to follow up with me via PM and provide specific details including time/date and content title you tried to watch when the issue occurred. If you try playing content again, and observe the same issue, press the following sequence on your remote: Home button 5 times, then the back button 5 times. This will generate an issue report tracker ID that can assist in pinpointing when your issue occurred. Please include this in your message as well. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
gadrago
Level 7

Most likely is that the problem is in the content provider's (Amazon) application or content delivery network rather than in the streaming hardware being used.  I see these messages occasionally in the Amazon application on a Panasonic smart TV with a wired Ethernet connection to a 100Mbps service provider (Verizon FIOS) when other smart TV applications function normally.  
0 Kudos

Yeah its a shame, as the other apps I've actually found to work better, such as NowTV and Netflix!
0 Kudos
catlovr1129
Level 7

My amazon prime stopped working on my Roku device on my TV. Would not connect to Amazon. As others stated removing the channel on Roku was one step. But also had to de register the tv device on amazon. Then re-added channel by clicking on my amazon prime button on my remote. Clicked register device on my amazon account. Entered verification code and all worked again.
0 Kudos