Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dangehzone
Level 7

Amazon prime video on TCL 55S401 HDR

Since the app updated, it is no longer showing HDR, only standard. TV still shows HDR logo and options for spectv, but no longer for amazon prime. It says ultra hd, (goliath) but logo doesn’t show up and when you click options it only gives picture mode. Not HDR mode. Please help. Thank you Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
18 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Amazon prime video on TCL 55S401 HDR

It's something Amazon has done. I don't think HDR is appearing on any Roku, regardless of model. I can't find any HDR on my Ultra or my Sharp TV. Amazon is who you need to complain to. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 7

Amazon silently pulled the HDR from AP a couple months ago from all Roku devices (again).

I suggest all Roku AP app users contact Amazon at aiv-roku-feedback@amazon.com to ask/demand Amazon (re)enable HDR.
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 10

"StreamerUserDude" wrote:
Amazon silently pulled the HDR from AP a couple months ago from all Roku devices (again).

I suggest all Roku AP app users contact Amazon at aiv-roku-feedback@amazon.com to ask/demand Amazon (re)enable HDR.

I have a TCL Roku TV that is still on Roku OS Build 8.0 and HDR content from PRIME VIDEO is still showing up in the labeling of content and HDR content is still being recognized by the TV and HDR Picture Mode is engaged and presenting properly with correct tone mapping. The issue of incorrect or lack of tone mapping with PRIME VIDEO HDR content happened at the end of last year as Amazon transitioned to HDR10+ encodes with a number of TCL Roku TV users and it took about 2 months with assistance from RokuShawnS in this forum and with Amazon support to finally get it corrected. I wonder if something similar is happening as Roku OS 8.1 rolls out, or if it is something quite different? When the tone mapping issue was identified last year, Amazon pulled HDR content support from Roku TV's and that content fell back to 4K quality until the issue was resolved. Perhaps I will see the same issues being reported on this forum and thread when the inevitable happens and I find my TV updated to Roku OS 8.1.

See support forum thread below as this was worked through last year.
HDR Issue in Amazon Video app on Roku
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos
Dangehzone
Level 7

So basically, they pulled it again with the new amazon app update? We need to fight them for a year again?
0 Kudos
Dangehzone
Level 7

"blade_005" wrote:
"StreamerUserDude" wrote:

I have a TCL Roku TV that is still on Roku OS Build 8.0 and HDR content from PRIME VIDEO is still showing up in the labeling of content and HDR content is still being recognized by the TV and HDR Picture Mode is engaged and presenting properly with correct tone mapping. The issue of incorrect or lack of tone mapping with PRIME VIDEO HDR content happened at the end of last year as Amazon transitioned to HDR10+ encodes with a number of TCL Roku TV users and it took about 2 months with assistance from RokuShawnS in this forum and with Amazon support to finally get it corrected. I wonder if something similar is happening as Roku OS 8.1 rolls out, or if it is something quite different? When the tone mapping issue was identified last year, Amazon pulled HDR content support from Roku TV's and that content fell back to 4K quality until the issue was resolved. Perhaps I will see the same issues being reported on this forum and thread when the inevitable happens and I find my TV updated to Roku OS 8.1.

See support forum thread below as this was worked through last year.
HDR Issue in Amazon Video app on Roku

I am still on 8.0 as well, but it is not working for me.
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 10

"Dangehzone" wrote:
So basically, they pulled it again with the new amazon app update? We need to fight them for a year again?

Not sure what you mean by 'new amazon app update'. I have seen an update to the Home Screen UI, but I don't know that the app version has changed recently.

What does HDR not working cover? Is it playing an HDR stream and the tone mapping is missing? Or, as some have reported, are you not getting access to HDR content at all on Prime Video? Seems like people on Roku OS 8.0 and 8.1 are reporting issues and then I am on OS 8.0 and not seeing any issues. I wonder how granular Amazon gets with how they manage HDR content to specific Roku standalone model devices and Roku enabled TV set brands? Perhaps that explains why they are some variances in our experiences.
0 Kudos
Dangehzone
Level 7

The interfaced changed, I click to watch Goliath in ultra hd but prime video does not show the icon nor does the tv get the HDR version. When I hit options for HDR mode choices it stays in regular movie mode.
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 10

"Dangehzone" wrote:
The interfaced changed, I click to watch Goliath in ultra hd but prime video does not show the icon nor does the tv get the HDR version. When I hit options for HDR mode choices it stays in regular movie mode.

Amazon UI has always been terrible at making it easy to find the UHD / 4K / HDR version of content.  If I open up to the HOME screen of Prime Video and scroll until I see the INCLUDED WITH PRIME: ORIGINAL SERIES row and scroll through the selections, every one of the series listed is only shown as the SD version. If from the HOME screen I select the ORIGINALS menu item at the top of the screen and press OK it presents an INCLUDED WITH PRIME: ORIGINAL SERIES row and all of these are labeled as ULTRA HD and with HDR label in the episodes where appropriate. Same for PRIME ORIGINAL MOVIE selections.
0 Kudos
Dangehzone
Level 7

I am selecting the UHD version. Black UHD over PRIME logo.
0 Kudos