Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Amazon prime pin selection is not private

Jump to solution

When prompted to input pin for parental lock or purchase Amazon Prime inside the app, all digits have to be visibly selected nullifying the secrecy of the pin. This is on a Hisense Roku TV. On Amazon Fire stick, entry is different. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Amazon prime pin selection is not private

Jump to solution

@YSRjunkie  Thanks for the note here.

Each channel provider on Roku designed and builds their own channel (app), including the interface and all features/functionality. You'll want to contact the channel provider directly to share your thoughts and feedback regarding their channel on the Roku platform. You can reach Amazon Prime Video support here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/contact-us

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@YSRjunkie  Thanks for the note here.

Each channel provider on Roku designed and builds their own channel (app), including the interface and all features/functionality. You'll want to contact the channel provider directly to share your thoughts and feedback regarding their channel on the Roku platform. You can reach Amazon Prime Video support here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/contact-us

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thank you Tanner. I assumed that and talked with them already. They were the ones who suggested I get in touch with Roku. Your answer makes sense. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

So Amazon said talk to Roku, and Roku said to talk to Amazon. 

Have you resolved this yet?

Would it not be better for Roku to say "Thank you for the information, we will contact Amazon and work with them to see if they can fix the problem". This would be good customer support from Roku.

All PINs that are entered with Roku seem to be like this. Is it possible that the Roku SDK does not give the option for the developer to enter the pin any other way?

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

It has not been resolved. Amazon said it is a Roku thing. It makes sense to me that it is an Amazon thing. It is irritating how you have to scroll to the number to select it on the screen. It can't be any further from discreet. That is my nice way to put it. The remotes don't have numbers on them. I assume that is why it ended up that way. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Netflix app is similar.  Both make you enter your PIN while everyone in the room can see what you're entering.  Largely defeats the purpose of having a PIN.  Certainly there is a better solution that Roku could implement and make available to all developers.  Just needs to become more of a priority for them.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Does yours look the same with Netflix as my picture in the first post?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Looking at the SDK for Roku, it seems like the app developers only have one choice for PIN entry, called "roPinEntryDialog". And that is the PIN pad that we always see for any PIN control. 

Roku is the one who needs to make the changes to their SDK to give the developers another choice. The only real option when no keyboard or keypad is present, is to do what Sony does on the PS4. Each key on the remote would represent a number on the keypad. See my attachment as an example. you would need at least 10 keys on the remote to do this, and the Roku remote has more than 10. Example, Left arrow=1, right arrow=2...

The most the app developers can do is to push on Roku to add it. There is nothing the devs can do besides this. It is Roku who needs to update their SDK with a feature like this!

ps4-parental-control-enter-password.jpg

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Very interesting. That makes a lot of sense. Any idea if Roku is addressing it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Most likely not. They always push it back on the app devs. At least in this forum they do. But this is even a problem with their basic app install. On my Roku you need a pin to install an app. This has nothing to do with any third party, only Roku. And it works the same. I don't think it's important to them. Maybe I'll switch to PS4 for apps like YouTube.