Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kotsios83
Level 7

Amazon prime channel

Jump to solution

i cannot add amazon prime video channel. On the webpage is grayed out. I spoke with amazon and they told me tha i should speak with roku support on why its graeyd out

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Amazon prime channel

Jump to solution

@kotsios83 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Channel availability/access on Roku devices will vary from region to region. A Roku device will work in any location, however, channels may not be available on your device in that location, based on each channel provider's discretion. For more information, you'd want to contact any specific channel/service provider to inquire further about whether they offer their channel/service on the Roku platform in your region. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Prime Video requires advanced capabilities added to later model units and cannot be installed on older units on which it cannot run.

"Prime Video is available for Roku 2 (except for models 2720x and 27020EU), Roku 3 (except for model 4230x), Roku Express, Roku Express+, Roku Streaming Stick (except for models 3400x, 3500x and 3500EU), Roku Streaming Stick+, Roku Premiere, Roku Premiere+ and Roku Ultra as well as Roku TVs."    Source: https://rokuguide.com/channels/prime-video

Check your model number via Settings > System > About .

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee, just a user like you.
0 Kudos
kotsios83
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am using roku premiere so should be able to install amazon prime just find

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@kotsios83 wrote:

I am using roku premiere so should be able to install amazon prime just find

It could be a regional issue.  Where are you located?  Is this the same country in which you created your Roku account?  Is there a VPN involved that masks your location -- either now or when you created your account?

0 Kudos
kotsios83
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am located in Cyprus and no there is no vpn enabled

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

Assuming the IP you were using when you set up your Roku account was also in Cyprus (that was not an idle question before):

As far as I can tell Prime Video is available from Amazon in Cyprus.  Per Wikipedia "On December 14, 2016, Prime Video launched worldwide (except for Mainland China, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria) expanding its reach beyond the US, the UK, Germany, Austria, and Japan."

That's the first part of the equation.  You should be able to view Prime Video in Cyprus over a computer at the very least.

The second part of the equation is the devices for which Amazon has released a player app in Cyprus. Rokus have their own proprietary operating system and channel apps must be written explicitly to run on it.  Each channel creates, provides, and maintains its own app to stream their channel to the Roku, as well as deciding and programming its features, including geographical areas of operation. Roku only provides the platform on which the 3rd party channel apps run.   I've been unable to locate an information regarding whether Amazon has released a Roku player app authorized for use in Cyprus.

0 Kudos
kotsios83
Level 7

Jump to solution

I spoke with amazon and they told me that from their side everything should be ok and i should speak with roku support about the issue

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution
Then I guess we'll just have to wait for someone from Roku to reply, in the hope that you don't just get some sort of unhelpful generic response.

But I wouldn't put 100% confidence in what you're hearing from Amazon, either -- front line support people for most all entities these days just read from scripts and don't have the complete picture.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@kotsios83 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Channel availability/access on Roku devices will vary from region to region. A Roku device will work in any location, however, channels may not be available on your device in that location, based on each channel provider's discretion. For more information, you'd want to contact any specific channel/service provider to inquire further about whether they offer their channel/service on the Roku platform in your region. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
OldRock
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am in Portugal and my model is the 3811x - Roku Streaming Stik+. I have a prime video subscription an i can't install the channel. Please help!

0 Kudos