Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pablo55
Level 7

Amazon poor audio quality - streaming stick

I'm experiencing very poor audio quality with Amazon on my streaming stick, dialogue in particular is very difficult to understand. Amazon used to be fine (not used it for a few weeks so not sure exactly when it went wrong) and Netflix is currently fine.

Anyone else got this issue?
0 Kudos
17 Replies
Pablo55
Level 7

Re: Amazon poor audio quality - streaming stick

Been doing some more testing today, and while Netflix is nowhere near as bad as Amazon, the audio on Netflix isn't great either. As with Amazon, dialogue has a sort of hissing sound in the background. I'm still on the 7.6.0 build 4125 firmware, last updated on May 5.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"Pablo55" wrote:
Been doing some more testing today, and while Netflix is nowhere near as bad as Amazon, the audio on Netflix isn't great either. As with Amazon, dialogue has a sort of hissing sound in the background. I'm still on the 7.6.0 build 4125 firmware, last updated on May 5.

I used my Stick all last week at my hotel, and was on Amazon every night. No issues with audio. I also watched YouTube and a couple of other channels without issue. I do have 7.7 on it, but before that on 7.6 I wasn't having issues either.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
bitejones
Level 7

I am having the exact same problem here with my Roku stick. Everything else works perfectly except Amazon Prime. Has anyone found any solution for this problem yet?
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

"Pablo55" wrote:
I'm experiencing very poor audio quality with Amazon on my streaming stick, dialogue in particular is very difficult to understand. Amazon used to be fine (not used it for a few weeks so not sure exactly when it went wrong) and Netflix is currently fine.

Anyone else got this issue?

Before we troubleshoot, what (exactly) is your setup.. TV model, is it going thru a receiver, and if so, what's the model of it? What are your audio settings on the Roku? Have you tried changing them, with any difference in audio quality?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
OvaltineJ
Level 7

I'm having this same issue, almost like audio static during action scenes and even certain quiet scenes. It only occurs with amazon video, all other streaming services have fine audio and video. I have the streaming stick. Has anyone found any solutions?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Just watched an episode of Dr Who on Amazon with my Roku 4 with no issues. I was in a hotel all this week and used my Stick to watch Amazon and YouTube without a problem either. Also watched Amazon last night on my Insignia Roku TV, again with no audio issues. So, I can't say I've seen any issue with Amazon on any of my Roku devices. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Simmo41
Level 7

Evening, I also have the same issue....every channel is fine apart from Amazon. There is an annoying distortion in the background, like an electronic whisper type noise! It's is very annoying. Anyone know how to get rid of it. Thanks
0 Kudos

I am having the same issue but with the Netflix app. Everything else is working great. I have seen some thing about the Roku needing to do a new hand shake with the TV. In order to to this you just switch source on the TV to another source that is not on the roku, then switch it back to the Roku. This seems to help sometimes. I have both of my audio sources set to auto on my Roku, I have also set them to PCM audio as well without fixing it. I have this issue happen on all of my TV's (one is a samsung and one is a lg TV, both are producing audio through a Bose system). Lastly, this happens on my old Roku 3 as well, which is going through a vision tv and does not have a Bose hooked up. Very frustrating.
0 Kudos
mhollis60
Level 7

I get the same issue - roku2 to Onkyo TX-SR507 amp using Amazon Prime Video get a hissing sound in some scenes. My roku2 is set to auto for both HDMI and audio mode.

As an example....have a look at "The Grand Tour" season 2 episode 8 this gets decoded as dolby digital by my amp. Episodes 9 to 11 of season 2 of "The Grand Tour" have a noticably bad sound quality compared to the previous episodes. The amp doesn't seem to recognise the audio and it gets played as Pro Logic II out of each speaker. This is where I notice the hissing sound.

I've emailed Amazon about it but the response was their technical department have fixed the issue, but clearly they haven't as the issue is still present.
0 Kudos