Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LarryC1
Level 7

Amazon lag issue on Roku device

We have used Roku for a long time. In the last few months, Amazon app would not search. Amazon help desk was not aware of problems and could not help. But when we were done with the first call, Amazon would not launch. As of last night's Amazon support call, where they convinced my to reset, I have to start over with Netflix password etc. Oh and Amazon does not launch at all. Roku support was snippy / passive aggressive. OK. Fine. Thinking I need a new Roku box, I looked online to observe a couple of things. There is a good deal of chatter about Roku and Amazon not working together. Both on this Roku website and on Amazon website. After my coerced reset, I noticed that applications lag when launched, just as people describe here. But it is the same legacy Roku box. Additionally, when looking on the Roku website to select a new device, I noticed that Roku marketing is silent on use of Amazon. Absent in the text. Not Netflix. Roku mentions Netflix. Even when looking at the packaging or the screen in the advert, one sees reference to many streaming apps but absolutely lacks reference to Amazon.

This leads me to think that their is something going on between the two companies. 

The TV that this "reset brink" of a Roku player is an analog TV. Works fine. I do have a smart TV with Roku. 1 year old. It is a dog. Samsung. It takes longer to warm up than a 1960s tube TV from the Cold War. 

My assessment is that I should look at other technology. Especially being put on hold for 30 minutes by Roku after dealing with Amazon phone support for 2 hours. 

Things worked fine until the products were improved. 

[post moved to new thread]

0 Kudos
1 Reply
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Not Impressed

@LarryC1 wrote:

We have used Roku for a long time. In the last few months, Amazon app would not search. Amazon help desk was not aware of problems and could not help. But when we were done with the first call, Amazon would not launch. As of last night's Amazon support call, where they convinced my to reset, I have to start over with Netflix password etc. Oh and Amazon does not launch at all. Roku support was snippy / passive aggressive. OK. Fine. Thinking I need a new Roku box, I looked online to observe a couple of things. There is a good deal of chatter about Roku and Amazon not working together. Both on this Roku website and on Amazon website. After my coerced reset, I noticed that applications lag when launched, just as people describe here. But it is the same legacy Roku box. Additionally, when looking on the Roku website to select a new device, I noticed that Roku marketing is silent on use of Amazon. Absent in the text. Not Netflix. Roku mentions Netflix. Even when looking at the packaging or the screen in the advert, one sees reference to many streaming apps but absolutely lacks reference to Amazon.

This leads me to think that their is something going on between the two companies. 

The TV that this "reset brink" of a Roku player is an analog TV. Works fine. I do have a smart TV with Roku. 1 year old. It is a dog. Samsung. It takes longer to warm up than a 1960s tube TV from the Cold War. 

My assessment is that I should look at other technology. Especially being put on hold for 30 minutes by Roku after dealing with Amazon phone support for 2 hours. 

Things worked fine until the products were improved. 

Well, I use Amazon almost daily on either a Sharp Roku TV or my Premiere attached to a 720p TV. Amazon is one channel that has never given me a problem in the almost 8 years I've had a Roku. Yours is a single data point, as is mine. But I haven't seen a huge number of users with issues using Amazon. 

You didn't identify what model Roku you are using, and that might help identify the problem. Some older players are no longer considered supported, and it's possible the channel provider (Amazon in this case) has stopped updating the channel for older devices. 

Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos