Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Amazon has taken a step backward in usability with the new channel update.

A few days ago, I noticed that Amazon was tinkering with the channel.  A few things were different, but not obtrusively so.  One of the things I love the MOST about the old channel was how subtitles worked.  Need them?  Click the asterisk button to turn them on.  Don't need them anymore?  Press again.  Fabulous!

Some time ago, Netflix ruined their interface by making subtitles difficult to access.  Hit pause, click up, click over, click some more, unpause...  gah.  All for one garbled line that couldn't be understood.  And then go do it all over again to shut them off.  And as far as I could tell, no way to enable a function for subtitles only for a ten-second jumpback.  But Prime?  Yeah, baby, easy!

Not any more.  Now it's just as klunky as the Netflix channel, maybe even worse.  At least there's an option for subtitles on instant replay, if it only worked.  I never get them.  And of course, the asterisk button doesn't do subtitle toggling anymore.  Maybe it's for something else, now?  Nope.  It doesn't do anything new, it now does NOTHING AT ALL!  Really?  I mean, I could understand if the button did some amazing new thing, but it is now completely without function.  GRRRRR.

Worse, pause now lags by two seconds.  Want to see the text on that phone screen they show for an instant?  Good luck in being able to catch it.  It'll blow by before the screen freezes.  On the older version, pause was instantaneous.

ROKU 3 (yes, it's old-ish, but it has worked swiftly and snappily up until now.  It's still perfect with everything else), Amazon channel version 11.4.  Can get a build number if really needed.

Could we please have the subtitle toggle back?  And perhaps someone might be able to look into the pause lag.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Amazon has taken a step backward in usability with the new channel update.

Some guys posted recently that the new Prime was better.

I watch it a lot and really haven't noticed much difference.

I dont use Pause and FF or any of that stuff really though.

I usually put on Doc's and fall asleep to them........

Its still a good deal......No?

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Huh.  I'm not sure how any of that was supposed to be helpful or relevant, but thanks for replying.

EDIT:  Very strange.  Channel now looks the way it did before, with same version, 11.4 being reported.  Not sure what the build number is, but I think it's the same.  Doesn't make a lot of sense, but pause works the way it used to, and so does the asterisk button for captions.  All of the things I saw before in terms of options and such are now gone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

@MrPinksaid "I'm not sure how any of that was supposed to be helpful or relevant"

It isnt necessarily it was discussion just as your post seemed.

Was there something you needed help with or did you want to simply rant aimlessly?

Roku doesn't author the Channels. If you want to contact Amazon do so.

That is where your very unspecific ramblings might seem relevant but I dont see how.

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 14

For some channels, what is downloaded is mainly just a basic framework with links to the Roku API and maybe some custom code for certain features. When started, it downloads some code that contains the final UI that you see. Also, the device/software combo is reported to the servers, and they may respond differently depending on a particular combo.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

@boogernose: I asked about recent changes that had diminished my ability to use a product and was hoping that feedback would get back to the developers.  Isn't that why we're here?  My post isn't a rant, nor is it unspecific or aimless.  It is quite specific and focused. 

@andyross: Makes perfect sense to me, as I don't see why every chennel developer would have to reinvent the wheel.  What doesn't make sense is everything is suddenly back to the way it was (which is quite different) with no outward change in version number or build that I can see.  I would think that would change.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

For one thing Roku doesnt Develop the Prime Channel Amazon does.

You should contact Amazon,  Youre blowing steam is just that.

Your writing skills are not good your post is all over the place.

As I said Prime works fine for me and others have reported liking the updates.

So you really dont want help you just wanted to rant by your own admission.

You didnt ask for help with anything.

0 Kudos