Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
djm425
Level 8

Re: Amazon Prime stopped working yesterday, 10/2 on my Roku Express+. ???

Jump to solution

Here is my info:

3910RW Roku Express+

YG00DW246034

9.3.0  build 4194-51

C5395D246034

composite connection

ver. 11.4  build 2020090921

0 Kudos
Rat315
Level 8

Jump to solution

3910RW

YG00EK080255

9.3.0:4194

C5395E080255

Composite video

11.4 2020090921

Tracker 55-406-110

Amazon prime video still works on every other roku we have (we have 6 total including a soundbar)  but recently stopped working on this one.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

It looks like the common thread to this is composite output. Perhaps Amazon did something in their channel that broke non-digital output. They have been issuing constant updates on all platforms for months as they try to fix things they keep breaking. But there could be a copyright reason they might have done it intentionally. Analog video/audio can easily copied. Keeping everything digital with HDCP protection stops the copying.

If that is the case, it's up to Amazon to fix it. There's nothing Roku can do about a channel they themselves didn't develop.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
krowten1
Level 8

Jump to solution

That ain't it. I contacted Amazon Prime Video. They claim that the issue is with the recent Roku update to the Express+ and that Roku knows it.

atc98092

Jump to solution

@krowten1 wrote:

That ain't it. I contacted Amazon Prime Video. They claim that the issue is with the recent Roku update to the Express+ and that Roku knows it.

I have no more faith in Amazon saying that than I do with Roku saying it was Amazon. The people working in the call centers only have scripts to follow, and often have no idea what they're actually talking about. This applies to the vast majority of tech companies. 

Since every single one reported here is using composite out, that narrows it down tremendously. The only question is, who did it: Roku with an update (and they have broken things in the past with updates), or Amazon (intentional or accidental). It could be either, and we'll likely never know. 

Dan

Rat315
Level 8

Jump to solution

I think you are on to something. I have another 3910RW in my son's room but it is connected via hdmi and amazon prime is working on it. 

Working system:

3910RW

YG00D8904489

9.3.0 4194 51

C5395D8904489

11.4 build 20200921

This is the working 3910RW and it is connected by HDMI

0 Kudos
Rat315
Level 8

Jump to solution

Ok, I just plugged the roku that was not working on composite into a tv with an hdmi input and now amazon video works via hdmi. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Rat315 wrote:

Ok, I just plugged the roku that was not working on composite into a tv with an hdmi input and now amazon video works via hdmi. 

OK, there's now pretty solid proof that it's related to the analog outputs. So Roku/Amazon now know exactly where to look. Hopefully they (either one) figure it out quickly and patch it. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Rat315
Level 8

Jump to solution

The plot thickens further.....

I plugged the composite TV back into the roku and then unplugged the hdmi cable and it now shows on the composite feed! 

For spite, I hit home on the roku and then went back to prime video with only composite plugged in and it still works. ...

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

I noticed your Prime version number is build 20200921. I just checked one of my Roku TVs and it's on build 20200920. Now the build numbers differ sometimes on different devices, but it's possible that Amazon has pushed a new build out for some players that resolves the issue. I checked and there's no update for my TV, and I'm too lazy to go back downstairs and check my two Ultras to see what build they have Smiley Very Happy Time to head to bed for me...

Dan

0 Kudos