Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Video crashes WiFi

I have a TCL Roku TV and about a week ago I noticed Amazon Video received an update. (The interface layout changed and other things changed) Since this happened every time I have attempted to watch something via Amazon Video, (including my HBO Now subscription through Amazon) it has some issues. First it starts with Video stopping while the audio continues and then it remains that way unless I fast forward by a second and let it reload. It will stop and buffer several times and somewhere between 2-5 minutes it finally says it cannot connect. I back to the home menu and it shows that I'm not connected to the network. I go check the network connection and find that it doesn't see any Wifi networks. (I live in an apartment, there should be at least 8 that it can see) When this happens I haven't been able to get back onto the network. I found I could reset the Wifi by unplugging the TV. This has always brought the networks back and it is able to connect.  

This issue only occurs when I try using Amazon Video. I have no issues using the HBO Now, Netflix, Youtube, Plex, Crunchyroll Apps. Only Amazon Video and this only started last week after an update. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough but, I haven't been able to find anyway to share this problem with Amazon. Only a FAQ section that has been vastly unhelpful.

• Channel name: Amazon Video

• Channel version: Version 6.2; build 20161213144308

• What is the issue being reported? Wifi crashes when using Amazon Video App

• What are the steps to reproduce? Attempt to watch anything for longer than 5 minutes on Amazon Video

• Is it reproducible (how many times out of 5 does this happen)? Every time

• What is the serial number of the box? 2N00DJ809879

• What software version is the box running? Version 7.5.0 - build 4101-08

• Code for the channel installed. ?

• Is the box connected to the internet via wireless or a wired connection? Wifi

• What signal strength is the box reporting if connected to the internet via Wifi? Excellent

• What type of internet service does the user have? Cable

• How is the box connected to the TV? This is a Roku TV

• What resolution is being used? SD before it crashes

• If it is a paid channel is the user a subscriber/member, and for how long? Since 2013

• Television Make/Model: TCL Model: 50FS3800 

• Receiver Make/Model: N/A

• Other components make/model that's in the mix: None

• Roku Make/Model; Roku Serial Number Roku TV: 5113X

• CURRENT Roku Firmware version 

• Approximate time of last incident Everyday since Amazon Video App update
0 Kudos
50 Replies
Cblakey
Level 7

Re: Amazon Video crashes WiFi

I am having an identical problem. This seems to have started when the Amazon Video channel was updated (early December 2016?). Amazon Video buffers, audio and video become unsynchronized, and ultimately the Wi-Fi connection is lost. All other devices connected to the router (laptop, tablet, etc) are not affected, only the TCL Roku TV loses connection. This only happens when using Amazon Video and not with other Roku channels such as Netflix. My TCL TV is wireless-only with no option for an ethernet cable. I have tried changing the router's broadcast channel but that did not help. I also thought it could be a bandwidth limitation from my ISP, but I doubt that is an issue.
0 Kudos
aquici
Level 7

I am having the EXACT same problem TCL 48FS3750 48-Inch 1080p Roku Smart LED TV (2016 Model).  EXACTLY.                                                      
0 Kudos
aquici
Level 7

INDIRECTLLAMA and CBLAKELY, I haven't been able to get support either.  I've enter a question on amazon's page for my product that I've purchased, copy and pasting this pages link with a description of the problem.  People looking at the question will our discussion when searching words like "Prime" "app" etc.  They must support ad correct this problem.
0 Kudos
DarthCroz
Level 7

Exact same issue. Hisense Roku TV (2015 model) and the problem with the Amazon app happened after an update that installed on 12/5/16. I can find absolutely NOWHERE to report this problem.
0 Kudos
aquici
Level 7

Well people - just got done "chat" with Amazon support.  Following is transcript
Me: Rochelle. There are posting on the ROKU forum that describe EXACTLY what is happing to my TM ‎1‎:‎54‎:‎02‎ ‎PM
Me: TV ‎1‎:‎54‎:‎04‎ ‎PM
Me: I have a TCL Roku TV Amazon Video received an update. (The interface layout changed and other things changed) Since this happened every time I have attempted to watch something via Amazon Video, (including my HBO Now subscription through Amazon) it has some issues. First it starts with Video stopping while the audio continues and then it remains that way unless I fast forward by a second and let it reload. It will stop and buffer several times and somewhere between 2-5 minutes it finally says it cannot connect. I back to the home menu and it shows that I'm not connected to the network. I go check the network connection and find that it doesn't see any Wifi networks. (I live in an apartment, there should be at least 8 that it can see) When this happens I haven't been able to get back onto the network. I found I could reset the Wifi by unplugging the TV. This has always brought the networks back and it is able to connect. ‎1‎:‎54‎:‎43‎ ‎PM
Me: This issue only occurs when I try using Amazon Video. I have no issues using the HBO Now, Netflix, Youtube, Plex, Crunchyroll Apps. Only Amazon Video ‎1‎:‎54‎:‎43‎ ‎PM
Rochelle : I understand. In this case let me connect your to our Amazon App team. One moment. ‎1‎:‎55‎:‎11‎ ‎PM
A Customer Service Associate will be with you in a moment.
You are now connected to Mukul from Amazon.com
Me: Hi Mukul ‎1‎:‎55‎:‎35‎ ‎PM
Mukul: Hello, my name is Mukul. Please give me a moment to review the previous correspondence. ‎1‎:‎55‎:‎38‎ ‎PM
Me: OK ‎1‎:‎55‎:‎44‎ ‎PM
Mukul: Thank you for being a Prime Member. ‎1‎:‎55‎:‎46‎ ‎PM
Me: Mukul, that posting was from two other people on the ROKU forum. It explains EXACTLY, to the word, what I and others are experiencing ‎1‎:‎56‎:‎30‎ ‎PM
Mukul: Thank you for waiting. ‎1‎:‎56‎:‎52‎ ‎PM
Mukul: Anthony, I would like to inform you that there is some on going issue with this and our technicians are already working to fix the problem as soon as possible. ‎1‎:‎58‎:‎28‎ ‎PM
Mukul: I request you to please wait till the time when this issue get resolved. ‎1‎:‎59‎:‎03‎ ‎PM
Mukul: Your patience and understanding in this matter will be highly appreciated. ‎1‎:‎59‎:‎29‎ ‎PM
Mukul: I'll also personally follow up with your contact and I'll send you an e-mail with an update as soon as I hear back from our development team. ‎1‎:‎59‎:‎51‎ ‎PM
Me: Mukul, the tv in my den is a replacement for the first unit that was purchased from amazon, the same model. I originally thought it was a problem with the unit, but after setting up the replacement that amazon sent, having the same problem, and researching on the forum, the posting I shared with you is the EXACT same one - I was able to repeat it exactly as posted. ‎2‎:‎01‎:‎14‎ ‎PM
Mukul: Yes Anthony, The issue is with Roku not with your TV. ‎2‎:‎02‎:‎01‎ ‎PM
Mukul: And our technical team is working on this already to fix it. ‎2‎:‎02‎:‎23‎ ‎PM
Me: I can stream all other apps on the TV flawlessly. Only the amazon app has the problem exactly as it was described in the Forum ‎2‎:‎03‎:‎00‎ ‎PM
Mukul: Yes Anthony and I apologies for this inconvenience. ‎2‎:‎03‎:‎37‎ ‎PM
Me: As it stands, I can not use my Amazon Prime benefits ‎2‎:‎03‎:‎57‎ ‎PM
Me: I can not stream any Amazon Prime movies ‎2‎:‎04‎:‎18‎ ‎PM
Mukul: Anthony, If you want then I can cancel your Prime for refund and then you can resubscribe it when the issue get fixed. ‎2‎:‎04‎:‎59‎ ‎PM
Mukul: Will that be fine? ‎2‎:‎05‎:‎11‎ ‎PM
Me: No, if its only going to be a day or two to resolve the problem, that is OK. I just want it fixed properly and quickly. ‎2‎:‎05‎:‎43‎ ‎PM
Me: The whole reason why I purchased the TV was to stream Amazon Prime ‎2‎:‎06‎:‎13‎ ‎PM
Mukul: Sure Anthony and please do not worry as it will get resolved as soon as possible. ‎2‎:‎06‎:‎33‎ ‎PM
Mukul: Further, As an apology and inconvenience, I have applied a $10.00 promotional credit to your account. ‎2‎:‎06‎:‎45‎ ‎PM
Mukul: I understand that $10.00 promotional credit will not fulfill your disappointment but please accept it as a goodwill gesture. ‎2‎:‎06‎:‎53‎ ‎PM
Me: Mukul, I appreciate that. But my fear is that a week, month etc will go by and then, I wont be able to return the TV ‎2‎:‎07‎:‎40‎ ‎PM
Mukul: No Anthony, It wont take that long. ‎2‎:‎08‎:‎10‎ ‎PM
Me: I just need the reassurance that it will be addressed ‎2‎:‎08‎:‎19‎ ‎PM
Mukul: I'll also personally follow up with your contact and I'll send you an e-mail with an update as soon as I hear back from our development team. ‎2‎:‎08‎:‎23‎ ‎PM
Mukul: Rest assured, the glitch will be resolved at the earliest as I have reported this to our technical team on high priority basis. ‎2‎:‎08‎:‎33‎ ‎PM
Me: Thank you for your assistance. I look forward to hearing from you shortly.
0 Kudos
thefritz1
Level 7

FINALLY, I have found documented proof others are having this issue. I'll be watching this intently as I'm having the same issues with a ROKU TCL set on the same firmware.
0 Kudos
RokuCarlS
Level 7

Thanks for providing those details. We see your postings, and we're investigating. Any other information that you can provide will help us narrow it down, especially the date+time and serial number of the unit.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
jtocwru
Level 7

Checking in with the exact same issue, as well.  Sorry, I don't have a workaround.  I'm just glad to see that I'm not the only TCL owner who is experiencing this problem.  Very frustrating!! 

It is very unpredictable.  For instance, this evening, I made it through most of an episode of The Wire, and then the problem started to occur.  Once it started to occur, the only way to recover the horked WiFi was to reset the TV (either via the "restart" option from the "Power" menu, or by simply yanking the cord out of the wall.)  Once the problem started to occur, it was occuring basically nonstop, and I had to give up watching TV for the night.
0 Kudos
grandpoopa
Level 7

Same Problem.

I just got Sharp 32' Roku TV.  All apps work fine.  Amazon will allow me to play a movie for about 5 - 10 mins before it gives me a message about bandwidth then it knocks the tv off the network.  I've tried different tv programs in amazon and the same thing continues to happen.  I'm a Prime member and this was one of the reasons I got the roku TV.  I'll have to take this back if this can't be resolved.  Shame.
0 Kudos