Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mgeiszler
Level 7

Amazon Video Low Bandwidth Issue

In the past few weeks, I've been getting a Low Bandwidth warning on Amazon Video when trying to play movies. This is only happening on my Roku - I can easily play the videos on my phone, laptop and FireTV. Bandwidth is definitely not the issue. My speedtest in the same location as my Roku is 112 Mbps downstream and 30 Mbps upstream. All other channels are working fine, no freezing, no buffering issues, nothing. Any suggestions? Device is Roku 2 4210X 8.0.0 build 4143-04.
0 Kudos
21 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: Amazon Video Low Bandwidth Issue

Have you tried moving the Roku 2? Maybe there's some interference. Is it connecting to the same wifi as your Amazon Fire? Both are wireless?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

You might also try changing the wireless channel your router uses. And if you have both 2.4 and 5 GHz available on your wireless router, make sure you're using 5 GHz if at all possible. Much less interference and higher speeds usually on 5 GHz.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
gadrago
Level 7

I've seen this Amazon low bandwidth message occasionally on a 50/50 Mbps wired connection, so probably it's upstream of you with nothing to correct on your end.
0 Kudos
ajmeyer
Level 7

I've been experiencing this with Amazon for over a month on my Roku Ultra as well as my 3600 stick.  The Ultra is wired with 100Mpbs+ download speed.  All other Roku channels stream fine without issue.  Amazon is also available to me via a Android TV set as well as via the Amazon app on my smart TV.  Amazon streams fine without issue on those 2 devices both of which are wired to the same network.  Roku Support has said the following;  

"We have reviewed the details and analysed. We can not compare the Roku streaming platform with other devices. Based on the issue that you are reporting, it sounds like an issue with the channel itself."

To me  this seems be a case of deflecting the blame by stating that Roku does not accept performance of other devices as part of their analysis.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"ajmeyer" wrote:
...To me  this seems be a case of deflecting the blame by stating that Roku does not accept performance of other devices as part of their analysis.

To me, it's a recognition that Amazon uses different streams for different devices. That is, the stream that feeds my Apple TV is a different stream than the one to my Fire TV which is different than the stream to my Roku.

The more you know...
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
mgeiszler
Level 7

I just upgraded to the Premier Plus and still having the same issue. It's a 5 Ghz channel, so I'm not sure what the issue is. If I exit out and restart sometimes that works. It's 50/50. Really frustrating
0 Kudos
ChadL
Level 7

I'm seeing the same issue with Amazon streaming for the past month, "Insufficient Bandwidth" message and constant queuing on my Roku stick, but no issues with any other services on my Roku or when streaming Amazon from my laptop (and casting it to the TV via the Roku).  Amazon seems to be providing different streams to different manufacturers...
0 Kudos
DebHampton2
Level 7

I hope I'm not overlooking anything but I didn't see any solutions to this issue.  I have been experiencing this issue for about three years with the Roku 3 4200X and with a great deal of frustration. I have experienced as many as four to five interruptions in an hour which makes trying to view a program a big hassle. I usually just give up and switch channels.  I have had numerous contacts with Amazon to no avail.  Every time I contact them they want to put me through a ton of troubleshooting steps that even I, with a limited level of expertise, know has nothing to do with the issue.  Getting no where with Amazon, I reached out to my cable company but they were not able to help either even though they said they boosted the bandwidth in an effort to resolve the situation.  I only experience this interruption of stream with Amazon - no other channel.  Is this a way for Amazon to force you to buy their Fire Stick? I'm particularly upset because having the ability to stream content is touted as one of the benefits of Amazon Prime. Does anyone have any real solutions?
0 Kudos
i61164
Level 7

This is happening to me too.  I have a Roku 4 Ultra wired to my router.  Amazon is buffering and then timing out with an “insufficient bandwidth” message.  Just to check my network, I ran a speed test from my iPad and my download speed is 114 Mbps.  Obviously that’s over WiFi, so the wired connection should be at least that fast.  However, my Nighthawk router blinks an amber light on the channel that my Roku is connected to.  So I have been worried that for some reason the Roku itself is choking down the speed.  But I switch to Netflix it plays fine with no buffering, so the evidence suggests that the problem has something to do with the “Prime Video” channel.  I have a fairly large movie and TV library on Amazon.  I’m sure i’ve spent thousands of dollars over the years for the right to stream that content.  I’d hate to think that Amazon is deliberately making it hard to access my purchases on Roku.  If they are doing that, I hope there will be a class action lawsuit against them.
0 Kudos