Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
T1W2
Channel Surfer

Amazon Prime video returns to Roku Home page

Attempting to play any video from the Amazon Prime channel immediately returns to the Roku Home page.  All videos on other channels work fine (Netflix, PBS, Disney+).  Playing any Amazon Prime video on another device (Windows PC, iPad, or iPhone) works fine.  The problem is limited only to Roku devices (Express 4K+ and Express).  Both devices are less than six months old and were replaced due to Amazon ceasing support of my older model Roku devices (3500R and 2700R).  When the newer devices were initially deployed in October of 2021, both played Amazon Prime videos with no problems.  The issue began around the end of January 2022.  I have been in contact with Amazon tech support on multiple occasions over the last two months and they are convinced the problem is with the Roku devices.  I have factory reset and updated the software multiple times on both devices and the issue persists.  Is anyone else experiencing this problem?  Does anyone have a solution?

26 REPLIES 26
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Amazon Prime video returns to Roku Home page

@T1W2-

When problems are confined to a particular channel, it may be that the channel didn't install properly, that it didn't update correctly, or that the installation has otherwise gotten corrupted. A reinstall may fix the problem, so give it a try.

Remove/reinstall procedure:

1. Highlight channel on home screen.
  2. Press * key and choose Remove channel option.
    [Note: If this is a premium channel to which you subscribed through Roku, "Remove channel" will be replaced by "Manage subscriptions". Click this and follow the prompts to unsubscribe from this channel. (Don't worry. You'll still have use of it for the balance of your pre-paid subscdription period. You can resubscribe then if you like.) Now the ”Remove channel" menu item will be back and you can remove the channel. ]
  3. IMPORTANT- DON'T SKIP:
    Restart the Roku to clear its memory. Depending on your Roku model and Roku version number you'll find "System restart" under Roku menu path Settings > System > Power or under Settings > System'. Without the restart to clear the memory you may not get a clean reinstall.
  4. Reinstall the channel. Note it will be added to the END of the channel grid.
  5. If channel requires a login, you may need to log in anew.

If the problem persists at this point, it typically means the current version of the channel app has a problem that must be addressed by the channel itself as they are the ones that create the Roku-compatible version of their app and provide it to Roku.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
T1W2
Channel Surfer

Thank you for the reply but after following your suggestion the problem persists.  As I mentioned previously, I have been in contact with Amazon tech support on multiple occasions and they indicate their software is not the problem.  I had thought that perhaps my Roku device was defective, but since the problem is on two devices and limited to just the Amazon channel that seems unlikely.  Any further ideas?

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hello @T1W2

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

Please provide us with the following information for further investigation:

• Roku device model, Serial number, Device ID, Software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
  • Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
TiffAnn

I have a HiSense Roku TV. My Prime video and Netflix apps will not play anything. They give the spinning circle like they are loading but they never load. I have followed advice in this thread and they still won’t work! I can watch Hulu app just fine.

0 Kudos
T1W2
Channel Surfer

Amazon Prime video returns to Roku Home page - ONGOING ISSUE!

Hi RokuKariza-D,

I did not see that you made a response to my reply to you in the initial post last week (Amazon Prime video returns to Roku Home page) so I am posting again.  I appreciate that someone form Roku support has answered and so if you are not RokuKariza-D, please do not respond to this post.  

Here is the information you requested.

Device model: 3930X - Roku Express

Serial number: X004008M3ETT

Device ID: S008316M3ETT

Software OS/version: 10.5.0, build 4208-AE

The specific channel is Amazon Prime Video.

Version 12.3, build 2021122417

Tracker ID: TT-149-493

Amazon Prime Video is installed on my Roku Home Screen.  When I highlight the channel and launch, the channel starts and I see all of the videos (movies and TV) available.  When I select a particular video and launch, I am immediately returned to the Roku Home Screen. This behavior happens with every video on the Amazon Prime Video channel. It began around the end of January 2022, prior to that time the channel was fine.

This behavior only happens with the Amazon Prime Video channel, other channels (Netflix, Disney+, PBS) are fine.

Thank you for your assistance.  Please let me know if you need any further information.

T1W2

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@T1W2 I'm only responding because you didn't tag @RokuKariza-D , so he might not get an alert you posted this. I added the tag.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
T1W2
Channel Surfer

Thanks Dan, I am new to blogging…

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@T1W2

Thanks for providing us with the information that we have requested.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more. Does this clear up the issue you are seeing?

In addition, how are you powering the Roku device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
T1W2
Channel Surfer

@RokuDanny-R 

I removed the channel, restarted the device, and added the channel back.  I was able to watch just one trailer.  Now when I attempt to watch a trailer or video, I am immediately returned to the screen that allows you to “go to channel, remove channel, provide a rating, or provide feedback”.  Previously when I attempted to watch a trailer or video, I was returned to the Roku Home Screen.  Something has changed, but the problem has not been solved.

Also, I am powering the Roku device with the Roku power supply that came with the player.

Thanks for your help with this.

T1W2

0 Kudos