Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Amazon Prime subtitle show on shows

There is a significant problem with the Amazon Prime channel on the Streaming Stick+ and possibly other Roku devices that has not been solved in nearly 1 year.  When watching English titles like Jack Ryan that include some scenes where a foreign language is being spoken, english subtitles are supposed to be shown (even when subtitles are turned off).  These "forced subtitles" appear when watching Amazon Prime on other devices but not on the Roku.  There are other posts that have raised this problem but it has not been fixed by Roku in nearly a year (which is rediculous right!).  So my advice is not to risk purchasing a Roku product if you intent to watch Amazon Prime.  This is not a problem on Netflix and other channels.  Only Amazon Prime.  Note that Roku blame Amazon and Amazon blame Roku and so this problem may never be fixed.  I have wasted my money on the Streaming Stick+.

7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Beware. Do not buy a Roku if you intend to watch Amazon Prime

I have Prime and have experienced NO problems.

I watch it regularly.

I do have an Ultra though.

You should contact Amazon directly. Check the settings in both your TV and Roku.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Amazon is wrong to blame Roku for this, it is their channel. Roku doesn't program the channel Amazon does. Amazon needs to fix the issue. regardless of what they tell you this is Amazon's problem. 

Highlighted
Level 16

The Roku will display whatever the channel app created by Amazon tells it to display. Blaming Roku makes no more sense than blaming the television you are using to display it.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

You may have to enable subtitles and then check to see if there are multiple subtitle tracks available.  They may offer forced subtitles as a separate track, but I can't say for sure.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Amazon seems to habe updated the app. Don't remember seeing it do so. Different look, controls for options don't work imb xray links are gone. It has a very different look now and i have to relearn it's interface quirks. But they maybe have fixed audio sync problems. 

That was quite a problem for a year. There were tricks to minimiZe it.

They broke a lot of app functions though.

Amazon coding in general is pretty sketchy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Amazon Prime subtitle show on shows NOT ON ROKU

I purchased 2 streaming sticks plus as I thought Roku were the leaders in this area.

Then I purchase Prime video.I am older person with fairly good tech skills.

Start to watch Jack Ryan.After many waisted hours ended up watching with CC on all the time.Not good.

Last night started watching Treadstone.Same no subtitles again only CC on all time.

What a waste of money.Amazon subtitles work fine on my iphone,imac and other Android tablets.

Should of done my homework.My bad.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Amazon Prime subtitle show on shows NOT ON ROKU

Amazon have been frequently updateing the app lately.

The is a CC link above your "timeline" while watching a video.

arrow up to it, select ("ok" button) once or twice, don't remember. then select

what you want. If have cc on once it will transfer between videos. There is also a choice of only

CC on repeat. ie. you remind ten seconds you get cc. using the option asteric also opens a menu

with other options independent of Amazons choices.... just remember there are system wide options

and in app options.... Sling is very poor. Amazon, Hulu, Netflix are the highest quality video. Hulu has a buggy interface

CC  is subtitles and you can select avalable languages

0 Kudos