Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smprather
Level 7

Amazon Prime player, subtitle background

Hi Forum--

When watching Amazon content, my subtitles have a black background. How can I change this?

I have tried:
- Changing on Amazon web site. Works fine in the browser-based player.
- Changing Roku's "global" caption settings. Doesn't work. I don't think either Netflix or Amazon pay any attention to these.

Thanks!
--Myles
0 Kudos
4 Replies
smprather
Level 7

Re: Amazon Prime player, subtitle background

Just want to add, think of the level of technology we have achieved. It's truly mind blowing. However, ubiquitous fine tuning of the display of text on a video stream is still a bridge too far. I hope we can span it one day. I lost some of my hearing to chemo. Would appreciate all the help Netflix, Amazon, Roku, etc, can offer. Thanks again!
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 7

I have the same subtitle bug for the Amazon Prime app, all Roku versions since I've had either stick.

No amount of subtitle settings adjustment fixes it, jand it affects ust the Roku app as all other AP app versions (LG TV/XB1X/etc), including the browser, adjust subtitles correctly.

I have a Streaming Stick (3800) and a Streaming Stick + (3810), both with 8.0.1 4090-50/55 and AP version 10.0 (build 2018061311)
0 Kudos
Kaspian23
Level 7

I have found that by setting the Roku Accessibility, Captions style, Background opacity to 25%, the Prime Video app will have 25% background, but, if I set Roku to 0%, Prime Video uses a solid black background.
0 Kudos
Kgm32
Level 7

Setting the opacity to 25 % helps but it affects other apps/channels as well. Who should be contact about this? Roku or Amazon? This issue does not happen on the fire stick or prime app for Android. Seems only an issue on Roku devices.
0 Kudos