Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
macgd016
Level 7

Amazon Prime gives the wrong country and wont work

I'm not sure if this an Amazon issue or Roku but suspect its Roku.

I live full time in Spain and have a Roku 1 (not sure of the model) that was originally bought in the UK but for many years now has been used in Spain.  Netflix works fine with my Netflix Spain account giving access to Netflix.es content.  I have recently signed up for Amazon Prime in Spain and this works well on my phone, tablet & PC, I have loaded the Amazon Prime channel on my Roku but each time I try to use it it tells me I'm in the UK.

I seem to remember that there used to be some issues when using the Roku in a contry other than the one it was set up in but cant rememberr what they were!

My guess is that either Amazon Prime is seeing some setting in the Roku that suggests it is in the UK when it loads the channel or when it trys to log in, if so is a full factory reset needed or or is it a Roku account issue?
Roku2 2720, NowTV, UK
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Amazon Prime gives the wrong country and wont work

"macgd016" wrote:
I'm not sure if this an Amazon issue or Roku but suspect its Roku.

I live full time in Spain and have a Roku 1 (not sure of the model) that was originally bought in the UK but for many years now has been used in Spain.  Netflix works fine with my Netflix Spain account giving access to Netflix.es content.  I have recently signed up for Amazon Prime in Spain and this works well on my phone, tablet & PC, I have loaded the Amazon Prime channel on my Roku but each time I try to use it it tells me I'm in the UK.

I seem to remember that there used to be some issues when using the Roku in a contry other than the one it was set up in but cant rememberr what they were!

My guess is that either Amazon Prime is seeing some setting in the Roku that suggests it is in the UK when it loads the channel or when it trys to log in, if so is a full factory reset needed or or is it a Roku account issue?

Amazon (as all app developers do) picks where their service works on various devices. Roku does not decide to prevent any service from working that the app developer says it will allow.

Amazon, when it developed the app (and updates to the app), selects where they want to allow the app to work. Amazon would need to allow their Roku app to work in your location.

So, yes, Roku is stopping it from working, but only because Amazon told Roku to. It's an Amazon issue.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
macgd016
Level 7

Thanks for the reply, just to clarify are you saying that it IS the case that the Amazon Prime app WILL not work in Spain or that this MIGHT be the issue?
Roku2 2720, NowTV, UK
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"macgd016" wrote:
Thanks for the reply, just to clarify are you saying that it IS the case that the Amazon Prime app WILL not work in Spain or that this MIGHT be the issue?

Not having experience with the app there, nor inside information, I'm suggesting this is likely the issue. That's because in other locations where Amazon otherwise works, the cause has been that they didn't enable the service in that location. As other apps work there -- you mentioned Netflix -- then app developers can select that location to allow the apps to work. Amazon seems to have not done that. All app developers -- Amazon, Netflix, all of them, have the same options.

They didn't allow U.K. for a while after launching there. That is, you could watch Amazon in the U.K. via other means, but not via Roku. They have since allowed U.K. for Roku. Based on prior behavior, I suggest it's an Amazon issue. It fits their M.O.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
macgd016
Level 7

OK thanks for that Smiley Very Happy
Roku2 2720, NowTV, UK
0 Kudos
macgd016
Level 7

You were quite right, Amazon Spain first tried to tell me that is was a technical issue with the Roku in Europe but after I pointed out that it works fine in the UK and only gives a Region error in Spain they admitted that they hadent made Prime Video avalable in many countries of Europe yet!  Haha 
Roku2 2720, NowTV, UK
0 Kudos