Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Amazon Prime buffering

Jump to solution

I am using Roku Express (3700X), not the latest but it works fine with Netflix, Vudu and PBS. It's connection speed data varies from 11-16Mbps. My laptop in the same room is well over 200Mbps. My iPhone is around 40Mbps. The wifi router is not in the same room, but it is directly below in the room downstairs. The signal is strong all over our house. All Roku channels work fine except for Amazon Prime (and in this message I am referring to the "included with Prime" videos, not purchases where you have a choice of SD or HD) which encounters extreme buffering to the point it recommends exiting the program. What can I do? 

The Roku Express only supports the 2.4-Ghz wifi, but I have 5-Ghz available. Will buying a Roku that accepts 5-Ghz solve this problem, or is this more of a proximity problem?

If I could get the Amazon Prime to broadcast in SD I do not think this would be an issue. I am using a relatively medium/small TV, 40", and SD usually looks fine.

Thanks for any advice!

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Amazon Prime buffering

Jump to solution

@drumjazz  

Thanks for reaching out. This actually sounds like a potential content delivery network issue with the Amazon Prime channel itself and your account/device. These types of issues can occur from time to time, and relate to a specific ISP and/or interaction with Amazon's servers, the specific Amazon server connection you are being issued, etc. The best advice I can offer is to contact Amazon Prime Video support, explain the situation and let them know that other channels on your device are working normally. This usually takes some investigation, and may require an escalation or also a call to your ISP, but they should be able to assist you further. 

Keep us posted if there are any other questions we can assist with. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
26 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@drumjazz  

Thanks for reaching out. This actually sounds like a potential content delivery network issue with the Amazon Prime channel itself and your account/device. These types of issues can occur from time to time, and relate to a specific ISP and/or interaction with Amazon's servers, the specific Amazon server connection you are being issued, etc. The best advice I can offer is to contact Amazon Prime Video support, explain the situation and let them know that other channels on your device are working normally. This usually takes some investigation, and may require an escalation or also a call to your ISP, but they should be able to assist you further. 

Keep us posted if there are any other questions we can assist with. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Tanner,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have restarted my modem and router (both provided by Spectrum). I then chatted with Amazon support who suggested deleting the Prime channel and re-adding, which I did. I didn't get a chance to try it out until tonight when we started watching Mrs. Maizel season 3. Within a minute the stream hiccuped for a couple seconds, then it was OK for a while. It hiccuped one more time during the show but was never any worse than that. I would say this is much better than it was but not perfect. In fact, this is more like it has always been and it was more recently - the last couple of months - that the severe buffering started.

I plan to chat with Amazon again and will let them know what is still happening. I'll pass the results on to the forum.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution
The last step needed after deleting/re-adding the Prime channel was to restart the Roku Express. So far, so good since then.
0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

I spoke too soon. The Prime programming is hiccuping/buffering like crazy now. When it finally plays it is out of sync. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am having the exact same issue.  I have the same Roku express and it constantly buffers while watching PBS through Amazon Prime.  Netflix, Hulu, etc., are fine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have the same issue with my Roku only watching Amazon Prime. I have a second tv, it's a Samsung smart tv. When watching Amazon through the smart tv, I do not have any problems, just through the Roku. My provider is Fios. And just like others, I do not have the same buffering issues watching Netflix or Hulu through my Roku. Help, please.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am watching it on Roku 3 and a Roku Express in my bedroom and have this problem on BOTH devices and ONLY Prime.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have the same issue on Roku Streaming Stick+, again only with Amazon Prime (BBC iPlayer / YouTube are fine) and again only using the Roku (Prime Video app on my phone or Chromecast work fine).

Monitoring the network traffic you can pretty clearly see the TCP sessions being dropped and then having to be reopened after only a few MB (unlike e.g. the BBC one which stays stable for hundreds of MB). It looks like some weakness on the Amazon side...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Glad I finally got on here to find I'm not alone with this problem. Like you, every other channel works perfectly except Prime. So, tonight I tried an experiment. I hooked up my laptop to TV through HDMI and watched 3 episodes of the same show (same router etc.) I've been watching most often on Prime and not a single stutter. Definitely as I suspected, the Prime app for Roku is garbage. I've always known it is a memory hog compared to all the other channels but, then this started last Fall.

Looks like it's time to start a campaign of complaints to Amazon.

0 Kudos